1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer for Rain

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Has anyone else been following the story of Gov. Perdue’s prayer for rain? I live close to the GA line and Sonny is an old friend. He has really taken a beating in the press for his prayer for rain. Here is a link to the story:

http://wdef.com/news/governor_sonny_perdue_prays_for_rain_in_georgia/11/2007

From the link:
    Guess what it is doing outside right now?

That's right, raining.

#1 North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Here is another link to a more biased news outlet:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/444481/georgia_governor_to_tackle_drought.html

From the link:
    Thank God for Sonny Perdue, and for the rain.

3. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Unfortunately, the drought is so bad here that there are many CHRISTIAN farmers who'd probably accept that cauldron or native-american raindance, if they really believed that would work.

BUT as Christians, we (obviously) believe that the PRAYER will work. Sonny can use everyone of my tax dollars to stand there and pray all day if he wants to--and I'll betcha that even the atheist-activists of Georgia received the rain that fell gladly.

My prayer right now is that God will open up the floodgates of Heaven and fill the reservoirs and the lakes, etc......and reveal His glory. NOT to "honor" Sonny's prayer---but, well, you know...

Lord, SHOWERS OF BLESSINGS we need......but thank you SO MUCH for the mercy drops that fell round us last night.
    :praying:

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I was in North GA, Western NC and Eastern TN during the third week of June and was taken aback by the dried mountain streams and low lakes. This motivated me then to pray for rain and I'll join in with Gov. Perdue and continue that prayer. :praying:
    It takes something like this to show the atheist and agnostics that God is in control.
    Just ask Ahab, though he did not learn his lesson very well.:null:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if those who are benefiting from the rain that were making a stink over this will give a way all of their prifits as a result of the rain?

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

Georgia gets rain, but it may not help

Well at least they acknowledge it did rain:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_re_us/southern_drought_1

From the story:

7. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

And, apparently, they failed to acknowledge (naturally!) that ONE day after the prayer, we also had rain (although not as "flashily"), and that the rain we got yesterday--especially in the form of those amazing storms--was NOT predicted at the time of Sonny's prayer.

I'm not saying God let it rain on us just because Sonny prayed--but I sure think He used the timing to make a point!

8. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

9. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

The area where I live--there HAD been a forecast of about a 40% chance of rain for that day about a week before...but then it was bumped down to a 30% chance earlier in the week--which lately has meant that we're lucky to get a sprinkle or two in a 200-mile radius (seriously). There was NO forecast prior to the prayer day (that I saw-I won't pretend that I know what ALL the area forecasts were) for anything like the massive storm/rain cells that went through most of the TN/AL/GA area.

I maintain that God's timing was perfect....and I'm still a-prayin' that He will shower us with many more of these rain blessings. :praying: :praying:

10. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Praise God for making His presence known to the people of Georgia! :godisgood: :praying:

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they would not sit idly by. They would praise the sentiment. It is only Christianity that the world hates.

Since 1973, over 40 million virgins have been legally sacrificed to the gods of convenience and money. Why not the god of rain?

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Perhaps Gov. Perdue was following the advice of American humorist, Mark Twain:

"It is best to read the weather forecasts before we pray for rain."

In any case, I am glad that GA got a little rain.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

It is rather amazing how christians want to work to discredit or even vaguely insinuate that prayer is or was unnecessary in any situation.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we wonder why God does not do the works here, that are reported in other countries.

We trust science far more than we do Him; and even when He answers a prayer for rain, we attribute it to "the forecast"!

No, we are NOT a Christian nation when even the posters on a Christian (?) board don't believe Him!!

MARANATHA!!!! And the sooner, the better!!!!

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What "works" would that be? And are they documented or anecdotal?

BTW, I don't know what you guys are reading. I never saw anyone say prayers were not answered.

16. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Prayer doesn't work! I know because you are still posting here. :laugh:

BTW, "christians" should be capitalized.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's clear you are a troll. You have been reported to the moderators.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can one be a Christian AND a troll?

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are truly interested in the facts, do a little research on various missionary reports from 3rd world countries.

I don't record such, and I'm not gonna spend my computer time to find stuff that I feel (note feel, not know!) you will dismiss anyway.

My apologies if I misread your attitude, but from the bulk of your responses, this is the feel I get of your concern for anything that doesn't jive with what you already "believe".

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe so. I've trolled quite a number of atheist and pagan and 'secularist' boards, and been kicked off quite a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.