1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer initiative

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by seraphim79, Jun 4, 2008.

1. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

I was looking for some info on group prayer and came across this website, that talks about simultaneous intercessory prayer. It seems like a very good idea, and they even list some studies that have been done to prove that simultaneous group prayer works.

It says that it was started by a woman who's husband was murdered and she felt helpless to all of the violence in the world, so she decided that prayer was the answer and now feels called to unite Christians in simultaneous group prayer in an effort to change the world.

I pretty much read the whole thing and I think that she might be on to something. I mean it makes sense that more people pray together about something the greater the effect would be, right?

Anyway, just looking for opinions and to see what you all think?

2. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I thought I'd bump this up, as its a good topic which has been overshadowed because of other more controversial threads.

3. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

4. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Although James wrote that" the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availaeth much," I think it is unwise to attach some mystical power to the act or praying, the content of such prayers, and the frequence of praying.

Prayer does not change things. God changes things. Prayer changes us.

Paul found that out when he prayed repeatedly for God to remove his thorn in the flesh. In fact, God specifically told him that it was his will for Paul to have it.

Therefore, it is unscriptural to think that if we pray hard enough, and long enough, we can pursuade God to grant our wish, even if he did not really intend to or want to.

Believers are encouraged to ask God for what they want, but for the purpose of reminding us that we are dependent on him, that he hass the power to grant it, and that he knows best what is good for us.

6. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

I don't think that praying in group prayer for God to help is putting any mystical attatchment to prayer. God asks us to come to him with our problems and of course it is His to determine how He will answer.

And he asks us to gather in groups to pray "for where ever 3 or more of you are gathered in my name, I'll be there" and "If two of you agree on anything you ask God for, it shall be done for you by my Father in heaven”

Of course we can not persuade God to grant our "wish", but He does tell us "ask and it shall be given".

He wants us to ask Him, to remind ourselves that our lives are His as this world is His. And I believe that He won't intercede unless we ask Him. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
    2 Chronicles 7:14

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Generally speaking, Christians ought to pray more than they do. I know I should. But I don't see any particular biblical basis for believing that if many Christians around the world pray simultaneously for something, God is any more "likely to answer" than if they pray at different times of the day, or that if vast numbers of Christians pray for the same thing, God will hear them better. Indeed, there are plenty of scriptural examples of God answering an individual person's prayer (Lot and Sodom, Elijah on Mount Carmel, to give just two examples). The "United in Prayer" site states the opposite - its very first words are: "Prayer request for all over the world will be answer with United in Prayers."

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Seraphim,

This is something that both sides...as has been shown just on this thread...can show scripture, properly interpreted, to support their view.

What it boils down to is what is God specifically saying to *you*. God not only speaks to us through His word, but He also sometimes speaks...usually not with words but specifically none the less...to us in the form of just a very specific, undeniable, clearly from God...*KNOWING*.

Its an intuitive *knowing*, regarding a specific course of action or prayer, that has clear scriptural support. Many people deny this type of communication from God, and they miss out on great blessing as a result. Its a very beutiful and profitable thing.

If you and all these others discern God leading you to do this, then by all means do it! If others are not being led to, then they have not been chosen for this. They are not in the wrong, they just havent been called.

I'll check out the site and be sensitive to Gods leading as I do.

Praise the Lord! :thumbs:

God bless,

Mike

9. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

yes, your right. God does call us all differently, that is a good point.