1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre- History, extra-biblical: What do you think of the Book of Enoch?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by LadyofLight, Oct 13, 2015.

1. LadyofLight

LadyofLight New Member

Hello all,

I have not had the privilege of going to college or seminary, and am finding it very difficult to research some of these extrabiblical texts with the tools available to the public (google and the library, basically), so I thought I would get some of my questions out there for a broader audience.

Does anyone know of the origin of the Book of Enoch? I mean, if Enoch really wrote it, that would make the document (or the story?) older than Job. Right?

Is this document a legitimate historical text? Sort of like the tale of Gilgamesh? Or is this thing a farce that was invented by some heretic, like the Gospel of Thomas?

Just wondering, thanks o_O:cool:

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Book of Enoch is not received as part of infallible scripture----however---what ole Enoch had to preach to the people of his day IS part of infallible writ!!! Jude included part of what Enoch had to say to the people of his(Enoch's) day in his(Jude's) epistle----"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh, with ten thousands of His saints . . . "---Jude v.14-----image that???!!! Before the book of Genesis was written by Moses----God pulls back the curtain of time and allows ole Enoch to look through its corridor past Bethlehem-----past Calvary---past Jesus' resurrection and ascension---to the 2nd Coming of the Lord-----you can say that ole Enoch looks into the future and sees the Lord and himself(Enoch) coming among those ten thousands!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LadyofLight

LadyofLight New Member

Right... it's very intriguing!! And the eastern orthodox DO have it as part of their cannon... So how much stock should I put into it?? I guess I'll have to keep praying over it.

But if I read contemporary books (like a Beth Moore or Max Lucado or some other such author) for inspiration, I guess I could read these ancient texts in the same way, without putting full stock into it, or just prayerfully considering what it says in light of scripture... IDK. I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater just because it didn't get cannonized by the roman catholic church early on.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, LadyofLight -

The book of Enoch was not written by the Enoch from the Old Testament. Enoch lived a very long time before even cuneiform writing was invented - someone correct me if I am wrong on that..

Whoever authored the book of Enoch ("experts" say somewhere between 300 BC and Christ's birth) - whoever he was, he speaks of the angel Penume bring evil to humanity with his ink and paper. That's not how the Bible says that evil came here.

Mostly convincing of all to me is chapter 70 and 71 where this author speaking as Enoch describe Enoch's translation into heaven and how he saw all the "first fathers" and the "righteous" and he saw God and the angels showed him all the secret things. Jesus said that no one has ascended into heaven but the one who came down - Himself.

There a huge amount of the book of Enoch that contradicts the Bible. That's why it was not put in the canon of scripture. Here's a good site where someone calmly exposes the untruths found there and in this site he links you to another person who "not-so-calmly" exposes some problems that the book of Enoch.

http://www.prophecyproof.org/2010/05/the-enigmatic-book-of-enoch/