1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-marital counseling.

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by El_Guero, Jan 15, 2007.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

the topic came up because they came up so opposite on the tjta. it was a good visual for them to understand how social she was and how unsocial he was. it opened up communication about how he will have to realize how much she enjoys being around others and how he prefers to just be home. we were able to set up scenerios and talk about good ways to deal with each one. i'm not sure just how much we would have covered this topic if we didn't do the tests. we were then able to also go back to that visual of the graph when they DID have problems in their first year of marriage.

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Deceptive appearances

My point is that the same data probably could have been elicited in a good interview session. I'm not very sure that the T-TJA scientifically confirms anything; it just confirms what we already are thinking. On the down side, it can possibly create artifacts and lead our thinking in the wrong direction. That's all from a pragmatic view without addressing the serious theoretical concerns and Jungian psychology. My major prof in grad school said of psycho-educational testing: "All our tests do is really confirm what the competent classroom teacher knew all along." Well, that's pretty close to being accurate.

It is neat the way that one of my texts portrayed psychological testing on a scale of rock solid to mush. The rock solid end was statistically based measures in achievement and areas offering quantifiable data. At the other end was the affective domain, especially personality testing. All this had was clinic experience. Of course, clinical experience varied greatly with the type of psychotherapy that one was doing. So, it was pretty much all opinions are valid, at least if you have a doctorate and a goatee. :rolleyes:

As a psychometrist, I am thoroughly skeptical of personality testing. IMHO, it is potentially harmful because it gives the appearance of scientific validity and reliability but it is not sound from a scientific point of view. There are simply too many variables to control and it is impossible to quantify value statements. IMHO, counseling is a human art skill that cannot be relegated to tests and measures. After all, what are you measuring and what is your standard scale for comparison?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Me?

I am against personality testing because every time I take one of those 'tests', I test significantly differently . . . and the proctors always say that is not important.

;)

Not very scientific. IMHO I think it is better just to talk people through stuff.