1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pre-possessed

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, Oct 26, 2016.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What parents could there be that would desire their child to earn love and favor from them in place of merely receiving it? These can never be earned since love and favor are antecedent to anything children do, and seeing that this acceptance is unattainable by any action (other than faith concerning salvation), all things received are all things “given” (1 Tim 6:17).

Surely in all things God has the best in mind for His children, in that what was established in reference to “works” (first covenant) by man is incomparable to that which is established by grace in Christ. When the subject is our relationship with God it is always better to receive than give (i.e. Luke 10:42), for as we know there is nothing other than love and gratitude (praise) the creature can offer to the Creator.

- NC

Pre-possessed

After the fall, and until grace reigned, everything was on the ground of work*. Able offers the firstling of his flock; it is his work - no doubt a work of faith; faith in God led him to do the right thing, by it was his act. But now, the light of grace does not lead the awakened soul to offer, but to accept the fullness of the offering which has been made. Now gift or grace is in quite a different way than work. Each blessing is provided, and the believer is free to accept in faith, not doing any act to secure it. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph 1:3).

Let us look at the difference between Israel entering the land, and the man in Christ. Everything depended on their act. They must go in and possess the land. True, God brought them in, but they had to act in order to possess, and those who went in without faith did not remain possessors.

Now the believer is united to the Lord Jesus, and is in full title and ownership of the heavenly places before he enjoys any of it. True, as he accepts in faith the portion which grace has given him, the greater is his sense of possession and consequently of his enjoyment. In the one case the act was necessary in order to obtain possession; in the other, there was as much title before enjoying possession, as there was consequent to possession. If I only possess heaven in proportion to my act of faith as in the case with Israel respecting Canaan, I have no right of possession but as I secure it; my sense of owning the land is only as I set foot on it.

Hence I am necessarily anxious of my progress; my possession depends on it; whereas with a believer now, he has full title before he lays hold of any of it, and every apprehension of his portion only stimulates him the more to advance, and to be in association with Him who is there. It is the vastness of the blessing which he has in association with the Lord Jesus, which makes him long to apprehend it more, as Paul says, “That I may apprehend that for which I am apprehended of Christ Jesus” (Phil 3:12).

It is the breath and length, and depth and height, which occupy him who has the Lord Jesus dwelling in his heart by faith. He does not depend on his own progress for assurance of possession, but he is so assured of the unsearchable riches of Christ as his position, that he dwells on it in faith; and thus, as the greatness of his possession is realized, he longs to enter still more into what he is sure is his.

We all know the tendency there is in our hearts, and often in proportion to our earnestness to be on the line of attainment, instead of being simple recipients; and it is well for us to note the difference in state which the effort to attain produces, from that which grace or the acceptance of gift produces. One who is in the former is never even; he is elated at any sense of his progress, and depressed if he becomes conscious of his losing ground; though generally he is too well pleased with his own engrossment of desire to advance, and obtain more.

In the other, in proportion as the grace is simply held, there is a great evenness. There is ever a sense of being far behind in enjoying the vastness of what has been conferred; and there is the greatest thankfulness for a sight of it, while with each new acquisition, there is the sense that “the draught which lulls our thirsting awakes out thirst anew.” The one is like a man making a fortune; while the other is exploring the vastness of the gift bestowed on him; one necessarily is occupied with what he is doing; the other is praising the Lord for what He has done and shared with him.

- J B Stoney

Poster’s Opinion:
    * “the ground of work”: or “works,” though now (OT) man (Israel - as representative of mankind) placed on trial due to the fall, works are what then and now manifests those who are of faith in God. Works have always been the life-flow concerning the evidence of faith, and faith is always the life-flow concerning the enablement of works!

Miles J Stanford Daily Devotional: http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

James 2

22You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;

Can a incomplete Faith or a Imperfect Faith or a flawed Faith or the wrong faith save a man?

Sure you can start to eat a cake at least the cake mix while I'm mixing it for you...........but you don't get real cake until its done.

3. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HI U - Always appreciate your replies! James' teaching of faith and works is to always demonstrate that works serve only to manifest that there is faith, i.e. "completed" is in the sense that works are a part of faith, without which demonstrates no faith (dead faith).

When James used the phrase "works without faith is dead" he did not intend that there can be faith without works, but that no works mean no faith, e.g. dead (nonexistent) faith, because faith always produces works (obedience).

Faith effects works but works cannot in any way effect faith, which one either has or does not have, and the presence or absence of the lifestyle (works) will manifest which one.

God bless and God Be Blessed!

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

Can a incomplete Faith or a Imperfect Faith or a flawed Faith or the wrong faith save a man?

Pretty EASY yes or no question.

5. utilyan

Site Supporter

Lets write the scripture BACKWARDS:

James 2

22You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;

James 2 BACKWARDS

22You see that WORKS was active along with his FAITH, and WORKS was completed by his FAITH;

Which statement do you prefer? What does the 2nd statement MEAN?

6. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's definitely pinning it down to the crux, but my opinion about faith is different from many others. My understanding is that one either has faith in Christ or doesn't. Thus faith is never incomplete concerning believing in Christ, which will eventually show works (through progressive "conforming") as it's evidence, but never as it's attainment of faith which is a gift that no man can produce.

God "works," in everyone who has ever been born again, the "desire to do His good pleasure" (Phl 2:13), thus is one eventually manifests unbelief it manifests God has never been there. The sole purpose of works is to manifest God indwells you (Mat 5:16; Jhn 15:8), which is what He uses to "draw" others to His Son.

7. utilyan

Site Supporter

The verse itself refutes the theory faith is always complete. It is something that becomes complete, perfect.

Even Jesus Christ mentions folks of LITTLE faith. Do you consider being of little faith a praise from Jesus?

The Devil certainly believes and has perfect faith in Jesus Christ.

James 2

19You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

Do you believe this debate would be easier or harder for you if the book of James did not exist?

8. utilyan

Site Supporter

The word "faith" and "good works", needs to be dissected and analyzed.

I think we hear different things.

Faith is trust. That's what I understand.

If we open faith and inside was LOYALTY, OBEDIANCE, LOVE. I'd give you a pass in a heart beat.

If we open faith and found none of those things or a claim that loyalty, obedience and love are RESULTS of faith, I'd give that FAIL.

I'd fail it for the same reason scripture does.

1 Corinthians 13
    2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Here we have an example of GREAT FAITH, Faith so good it can remove mountains.

How many mountains has your faith moved today?

You can have complete understanding of scripture, the gospel, know all mysteries, a perfect knowledge, the greatest of Faith and it is NOTHING.

From knowledge they KNOW Jesus is lord. Perfect Faith in Christ. Know the mystery. Still they are nothing.

GOOD WORKS.

When I hear good works it is a command from God, Love God, Love neighbor.

If someone does a GOOD WORK that doesn't have God at its core, to me it does not retain the title "good work" its just evil.

It has to have agape.

If you do not love neighbor and don't love God, Your already damned. There is nothing worst that can happen to you. they can toast a guy 50 million times in the hottest hell fire. The most grueling worst of suffering is not love neighbor and not love God.

9. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A historical faith only does not save. Historical faith in someone is to believe they are real and this is the intention of James' writing that "the devils believe."

Believing about someone and believing in someone are not the same meaning. The foundation of the Gnostic's faith is that just knowing about God effects salvation.

A faith that believes in the Gospel of Christ is perfect and complete when pertaining to attaining salvation, and from there faith can be added to for maturity but the additions will never alter salvation itself, only the strength of faith is increased (1 Pet 1:5-8), and faith can never be removed.

10. utilyan

Site Supporter

We keep slapping lables that don't exist. and ignoring the ones that are biblical

I showed you "COMPLETE FAITH" biblically.

Show me "historic faith", or "DEAD FAITH".

All these unbiblical terms are made up in order to negate faith on convenience of decoys.

James 2
    20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

Oh that's a "false faith"

James 2
    26For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Oh he's talking about "dead faith"

James 2
    19You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

clearly this is just "Historic faith"

James 2

22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

"COMPLETE FAITH"? no such thing, My understanding is that one either has faith in Christ or doesn't.

1 Corinthians 13

2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

well that's "Cat Faith" not real faith.

James 2
    24You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Ahhh..... the elusive "Dog Faith"

No one pulling meaning out from scripture alone is going to conclude multiple unbiblical faiths. These things are added to defend bad doctrine.

11. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always appreciate your opinions, and mine is I think that we're not understanding one another clear enough concerning certain parts of Scripture's meaning. It could be that our understandings are dissimilar enough to interfere with our communications.

But that's okay as long as our motives are out of brotherly-love (which I believe you agree), without which there can be no significance to doctrinal truth. This allows us to continue on in our attempts to communicate as clear as we can with one another.

Love You In Christ

12. utilyan

Site Supporter

I believe that motive of love to be very important. If you see the post before last the words "faith" and "good works" needs to be fleshed out.

I believe you need faith and I believe the word trust is the same as faith. When I hear faith in God I also hear trust in God , trust in Jesus.

My main focus is I believe a faith devoid of Love is not a saving faith. Some might like to think well faith is like a seed and out of it you get love.

To be clear when I throw the word love around it is AGAPE.

Now I believe God is love. Not merely in the sense that Love is an attribute but that love is God's very essence.

1 john 4
    8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

If Love was not God, scripture like 1 Corinthians 13 would be idolatry.

1If I speak in the tonguesa of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
    13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

When I read it. I also see Jesus Christ.

1If I speak in the tonguesa of men or of angels, but do not have Jesus, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have Jesus, I am nothing.

If anyone knows the difference between Jesus and Love, they still have a lot to learn about both. Because there is nothing in heaven or on earth in which the identity and very existence and identity of Love can be found save Jesus Christ.

You understand? If when one hear's "love" the first thing comes to mind is not Jesus Christ well then of course they won't count it necessary for salvation.

But if you ask anyone who knows Jesus they can't conceive Love being anything other then Jesus Christ. And there is no way to convince those folks that Love is not a essential to salvation. Or that something devoid of love is enough.

The very moment you feel compassion, mercy, kindness, or love for anyone in this world, God is talking to you, and its only here where you have a chance to catch a glimpse of him.

13. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've been for a few posts discussing what Jesus said sums up what all things are purposed for--to possess the love of God. We are in total agreement concerning agape love to be the most important, which is what everything about God (1 Jhn 4:16). I've learned that it's not our love (phlio - natural love) that manifests God but Him loving us and others through those who have the love of God in them (Jhn 5:42) so that they might also desire the same in them.

The love of God is not naturally inherent and comes only by implantation at rebirth, as Gill comments: "which is not in any man's heart naturally; for the carnal mind is enmity to God; and men, by nature, are haters of Him, and enemies in their minds to Him, till this grace, which is a fruit of the Spirit (agape love), is implanted in them, in regeneration."

14. utilyan

Site Supporter

So you believe the parable of the DAMNED Samaritan rather then the GOOD Samaritan?

Was he capable of AGAPE?

4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Agape withheld from any soul, There is a word for this, Evil and Satanic.

15. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man is not capable and requires it to be implanted in regeneration (rebirth), thus Agape love was not available at that time (law dispensation). The Lord was demonstrating an example of one being neighborly (Luk 10:36) through "mercy" (v 37).

Love in these passages is Agape love, not the Phileo natural love of man.

16. utilyan

Site Supporter

Agape comes from being created in the Image and LIKENESS of God.

Luke 6

32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33“If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.

Jesus uses the word AGAPE. For even sinner love.

The only way you can sin is having agape and not exercising it.

The Pharisees love the bigot position, They believe they were the only ones capable of Good and Love. Even when it comes down to love neighbor, Jesus had to give Good Samaritan.

Jesus' defense on doing good was that if Satan is divided against himself he can't stand.

Do you think the Pharisees nodded their heads and said.....well he has a point.

Would you if a atheist or non Christian told you that?

I don't think so. Exclusivity says only we are capable of love and only we are good no one else.

17. utilyan

Site Supporter

We can find this word AGAPE in ancient non-Christian works. It is a pagan word. Who told them about it if no one was capable of it?

18. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's agape and agapao, but regardless of which we speak most do not have the love of God (Jhn 5:42), so I wouldn't think all are born with it (unless I'm misunderstanding you), but I can see Adam being created with it, until the fall.

According to Strong's Greek, here He's using agapao.

I believe those born again have this love of God (2 Pet 1:3) and He eventually teaches all how to walk in it, esp. seeing it is the prime objective in all things spiritual.

19. utilyan

Site Supporter

I think it would be a more obviously shocking revelation if you never had love of God and then you do, not a theory at all.

The Pharisees brought up the same charge against Jesus. That Jesus was incapable of Love of God and his good was a motivation of Satan.

When we look at requirements it states someone who doesn't love his brothers "CANNOT" love God.
    So loving brothers is preliminary to loving God.

1 john 4
    20If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.

Muslims would say your incapable of love of God or doing good, So would Jehovah witnesses, and of course Pharisees.

All of you claiming monopoly on "TRUE LOVE". Which of you is right?

This is what lead up to Jesus giving GOOD SAMARITAN as example GOD's commandment of AGAPE your neighbor.

The bible uses same word.

Mark 12: 30 agapēseis To love agape God.

Mark 12:31 agapēseis to love agape neighbor.

With the good Samaritan, Your not told the religion of the victim, that can be anyone. And then you are told the Samaritan does the CHARITY of saving this person.

Jesus presents this as the agape of neighbor. Even ends with GO AND DO LIKEWISE.

Luke 10

36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

20. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I get your point, but mine is that unbelievers do not have the love of God, only believers. I see the Samaritan representative of Christ and is why He instructs us to do the same, but He knows it can only be done by the Spirit in this dispensation.

Instead of "love your neighbor as yourself," it is changed to "love one another as I have loved you," which requires the Spirit of God within.