1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher supports gay marriage!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Scribe, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

What he resembles and what he is are and can be two entirely different things. To think otherwise to to simple judge him. (which we're not suppose to do)

And that has what to do with this conversation? Are you saying a person with a tattoo can't understand and follow the Great Commission?

With this, I can agree. His views on gay people will hinder his ministry. His tattoo's won't.

So if you're parents have money, you're required to "look decent" to be listened to? Crazy talk! My parents are fairly well off, they are retired and comfortable. Everything paid for... When I was homeless and lived on the streets many years ago, did it matter to anyone walking by? What and who your parents are can reflect people's opinion of you, but that doesn't add or take away from what him can do for the Lord.

So a few are ok? How may exactly does the Bible allow before you're "gone too far"?

Jamie

2. standingfirminChrist

Jamie,

The law of Moses was not destroyed when Jesus died on the cross.

Did not Jesus say, 'Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.'? (Matthew 5:17)

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thank you brother. I struggle, but yes I am a Christian. :)

I did think and ponder about the tattoo for a long time. I have it drawn up and have had it planned for the last 6 months. I trust in the Lord that if he don't want me to get it, he will stop me, tell me or guide me away from it.

I honestly feel it's not against the OT Laws. On this, we do disagree with this.

Jamie

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Jamie I think this conversation is quite silly. If you can't see he resembles a gang member in our society then I don't know what to tell you. Your assumptions are false. Re-read my post, I wasn't judging him. Of course the way he looks and the way he is could be different. All he has to do is wear a long sleave so he doesn't scare anyone. It's his choice to deliberately stick out for all the wrong reasons.

5. standingfirminChrist

Is it not possible that the Lord is trying to tell you not to print marks on your flesh through the voice of Joe?

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

How do you explain these verses then?

Hebrews 8:13
    13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 10:9
    9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Hebrews 9:15-16
    15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Christ has replaced the old law. He did come to fulfill it as it was told, he didn't come to keep the old law.

Jamie

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Nice... It's possible.. only time will tell huh? :)

Jamie

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I agree. To think that someone can't preach the Word just because of a Tattoo.

silly indeed...

Jamie

9. Joe

Joe New Member

I struggle too so I hear you :1_grouphug:

Another thought, if you are a fairly new christian, you may want to consider postponing that tattoo. It would be hard if you come to understand how OT law works with the NT and decide you made a mistake. My views have changed dramatically, and still do while I learn.
    People who own those tattoo parlours may not clean their needles either. Often they have criminal records and operate their businesses on a solely cash basis to avoid paying the IRS too much. Their needles may be dirty, you could possibly get AIDS?

#69 Joe, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  10. Joe

Joe New Member

Please do not put words into my mouth, I never said that.
    I think we need to end this conversation.

11. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

From this site: http://www.new-life.net/faq022.htm

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You're right. I said tattoo you have been saying tattoos (plural) My whole point is, from the article, you can't say that this man doesn't reach people because his tattoos. You CAN say his doctrine is wrong.

Deal.

Jamie

13. standingfirminChrist

Christ replaced the old covenant, not the old law.

Law is a set of rules and regulations.
    A covenant is a promise made between God and man.

Better check the Word again. Christ kept every aspect of the Mosaic law.

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

If he's preaching the wrong doctrine (his own) then how can he reach people? The Bible warns us to watch for false prophets.

Matthew 24:11-13 (KJV)
    11: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
    12: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
    13: But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

15. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I hate people that cut and paste stuff when they stand so firmly on a soapbox, but I will play along...

Since everything you posted states that my body doesn't belong to me, but the Lord and anything I do to it/for it I should do in honor of him, I'm safe with my tattoo.

It's of a cross:

With some Greek around it:

[​IMG]

Jamie

**Moderator note: Posted Icons/pictures cannot exceed the space limit set by policy. Icons cannot exceed Baptist Board emblem seen on top of pages**

#75 JamieinNH, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Jamie, is that your real tattoo??

17. standingfirminChrist

That is not a tattoo of a cross, it is of two nails.

Was Christ hung on nails of iron? or a cross of wood?

18. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That was my mistake.. I should have said 'you don't know he can't be used to reach people'

You can't judge what God has in store for this guy no more than you can judge what he has in store for me or anyone else.

We can talk about his doctrine, and agree with that all day long.. but that is all we can agree or know.

Jamie

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Your "progressive preacher" insult (and yes, we know it was meant as such) and comparing a brother to non-Christians....over tattoos, no less....shows a great deal about you.

It's sad how your focus on the external causes you to judge brothers in the Lord in ways you shouldn't.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I have drawen up the two together. I have dropped the string hanging loose from the cross and put the Greek on both sides of the cross.

|
    IC | XC
    ---------
    NI | KA
    |
    |

There is a crude drawing of what I want. Ok, for some reason it's not coming through right... I will have to scan this one sometime.

What is your opinion of tattoo's?

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.