1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher supports gay marriage!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Scribe, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

Nope your speaking untruths again. Re-read my posts.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

To me, it represents the cross my Saviour died on, with the spikes they drove into his hands. I am sure you know what the Greek says.

Jamie

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

You just contradicted yourself in the post above. You did judge him...on the externals. It's obvious.

I minister to folks quite often that wouldn't be the least bit "scared" by tattoos. I wouldn't do it myself...I don't think getting tattoed is all that wise. But I also don't see it as sinful.

We can disagree on a bunch. But face it...you judged the guy, based on tattoos.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

They are a non-issue to me. If people want them and enjoy em, more power to em.

Personally, they are not something I want, but I am not going to hold that decision for anyone else but me.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Well I am not going to "label' him as a gang member, or even say he looks like a gang member. In this day and age, I am sure gang members come in all shapes, forms, and fashions. Look at Washington. :)

Jamie

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

So, you hate people!? Hate is as the sin of murder. :saint:

1 John 3:14-16 (KJV)
    14: We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
    15: Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
    16: Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

You are to honor your body by not marking it. You were bought with a price and your body, mind, and spirit belong to Christ.

I'm not on a soapbox. I didn't write the Bible.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

By the way... for all the people reading this that have or haven't posted. There is a reason I want to get this tattoo. It's a long story.. maybe you will read the book one day, but in a nut shell I want this as a daily reminder to honor, love and know my Lord more for the sacrifice he suffered through on my behalf.

Jamie

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Joe's judgement is correct. If he were to judge him and had tattoos himself he would have a mote in his eye.

Like Haggard did when he preached against homosexuals and was engaged in the same sin.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

I didn't judge the guy but you are judging me. I am not sure why. Is there a problem?

In fact, I stated he could be a christian even despite his views regarding homosexuality. I will not judge his salvation. Never stated he couldn't witness or bring another to salvation. I stated the obvious, that it will hinder his ability to minister if his exterior resembles a gang member.

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

:rolleyes: You're a piece of work... I am not going there..

Who defines honor? You? The church? Me? how do you know that it don't or won't honor the Lord? It's your opinion it won't. That's all nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, this is true you did not. But when you stand there and fling your OPINIONS around, then it's a soapbox.

We will just have to agree to disagree with this one...

Jamie

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Note the words "for the dead" in this verse. It is referring to idol worship. Getting tattoos for the purpose of idol worship is wrong.

Keep in mind that Leviticus 19 also tells us not to...

...cross-breed cattle (19)
    ...sow different seeds in a field (19)
    ...wear a garment made of two fabrics (19)
    ...keep a hired servant's wages overnight (13)
    ...sleep with female slaves (unless restitution is made) (20)
    ...round off the hair of your temples (27)
    ...mar the edges of your beard (27)

So....do you come down on "violators" of these as well? Context is your friend in Leviticus 19. We are not to worship idols. And if idol-worshippers are tattoed in our culture, we should avoid it.

I don't know of a deity that requires tatoos in today's time.

Let's face it...you're preaching preference here...which ain't Scripture.

12. Joe

Joe New Member

Well...maybe I have past tattoos and can't afford to get them covered? If I had to avoid every conversation of every sin I committed in the past, then I would be practically speechless LOL

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

We agree he could be a Christian, and we agree that he isn't ready for ministry with that viewpoint.

But when you cast aspersions on a person because of their appearance, you are judging. That's not a "judgement." That's a definition of it.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Only we're not talking sin....we're talking about tattoos. :BangHead:

A logical disconnect kinda fouls up the analogy, doesn't it?

15. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It's different if you had tattoos before you were saved. ;)

16. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I gave New Testament verses on page eight. I'm not preaching preference, I'm preaching from the scriptures.

The same things non-christians say when they ask questions and misquote the scriptures.

#96 The Scribe, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  17. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, you listed these Scriptures:
    "The body is meant for the Lord" 1 Corinthians 6:13.
    "Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit." 1 Corinthians 6:19.
    "You are not your own; you were bought at a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19.
    "Honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20.

None deal with tattoos.

Nice dig. If you won't address my questions, take a shot at me. fine.

Answer this, though: Is it sinful for a Christian to get an ear pierced? A simple yes or no will suffice.

18. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

They deal with the body. It belongs to Christ if you're a Christian and you're not to defile it. Markings would defile your body.

Yes, if you're a male.

19. standingfirminChrist

tattoos fall under the category of defiling the body. God said the one who defiles the body He will destroy.

Can one really afford to take the chance?

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry...if you're gonna be consistent, then markings are markings; piercings are piercings.

How can it be OK for women to get pierced ears, when you just quoted Leviticus 19...which forbids it?

Inconsistencies abound...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.