1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching I would Not Listen To...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Apr 20, 2008.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yeah - I'm out of practice! My only visit to the States was in 1972. Perhaps I should watch some more "Murder She Wrote" and "Columbo" as a refresher course! :laugh:

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's like this. And remember to put emphasis on the huh. It's used in a way where the preacher sounds like he's about out of breath.

When Jesus went up on the mountain huh. He was transformed and the glory of God shone forth from him huh. And, the disciples were awe struck and fell on thier face huh. Then Peter huh, presumptuous Peter huh, had a suggestion huh. Lord why don't you let us build you guys some little tents huh? Oh, wouldn't it be nice to be invited on top of that mountain huh? To be with Jesus huh, and to see Him in His glory huh, and to hear the voice of God instructing huh. Yet we are down here in the valley huh. And, we are struggling huh. But, God is with us huh. And we trust that one day huh we too will see and experience that same bright glory of Jesus huh.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Would that be the same as us watching episodes of "Are You Being Served" or "Keeping up Apperances" both of which are very funny so long as you stay away from the sexually charged episodes.

4. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay well thats how you look at it. We serve an awesome God, and yes I admit I need more than just getting into the bible and reading. Thats why I use my bible in addition to listening to preachers.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

We had a pastor once who called this 'the hiccuping preacher'

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

It just depends, on if you like your gospel true or false.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God? That He alone can save you from your sins? That God is almighty? That is doctrine. Doctrine is just another way of saying "truths that are taught." Doctrine is not some kind of optional extra.

8. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

When I say doctrine I mean that you have to wear skirts if you are a woman and you have to have long hair and well women cant do this and cant do that. Jesus is the only one to save me from my sins by his blood being shed for me. Thats what I was getting at.:type:

9. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I, huh, think you, huh, need to, huh, put in, huh, more, huh, "huhs". ;)

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think the confusion is that what you are talking about is not doctrine. Doctrine is more an explanation, or statements, of beliefs.

Most, if not all, have questionable doctrinal beliefs that put what they are doing into question. Although anybody can make statements that can be encouraging, it doesn't change that they may have unbiblical teachings.

Hope that clarifies.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Doctrine=Teaching

Teaching=Doctrine

Make a choice!

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You'll never learn to preach american style if you don't pay attention... Lucky you have a friend like me to have your back.

I fixed your quote for ya... :laugh:

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for making that clearer. I'm really glad that you are not against all doctrine/teaching, and that you accept the doctrine that Jesus is the only one to save you from your sins by his blood being shed for you.

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't think so, because in the comedy programmes you mention, at least some of the characters speak with grossly exaggerated accents for to make it sound more funny. Did you imagine that we Brits all go around talking like Mrs Slocombe or Hyacinth?

#94 David Lamb, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

By the way, another friend closed out his appreciation revival tonight. I was on to do the word of encouragement and he had two preachers on to preach. The first preacher did great. He stuck to the 15 minute limit and preached a very solid two point message.

The second preacher read his text about 20 minutes into his sermon and named his subject about 15 minutes later. I left about an hour into the sermon because my back was hurting. He had already told us 17 times, "I'll be through when I say this". He repeatedly said, "ya'll won't like me when I say this". AND at one point he said, "I tell the drunkard bring your bottle to my Church. I tell the crack head bring your crack pipe to my Church."

I'm sure he meant well but that sure sounded a little off to me. Unfortunately many in the congregation stood in support, clapping, saying AMEN etc... I was happy to see my folks were not part of that crowd...