1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching/NT studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

I have posted several times and am still looking into possible seminary schools. What I really want is the best choice in providing solid BIBLE and MINISTRY training (for example Preaching/Pastoral and OT/NT studies). What degrees (both masters and post) would you all recommend and what seminary schools offer these? I would be leaning towards distance learning considering I would be teaching to pay for this. Modules would be fine too, any school that I wouldn't have to be on campus 24/7. The closest seminary to me is SBTS (3 hours away). Any input would be appreciated. God Bless

#1 Pastor Shaun, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shaun Response

Hey Young Brother,

We are glad to have you on the BB!! Welcome!

The first question I would ask is this:

Do you have a Bachelor's degree? If so, in what?

I would advise (and you may not want to hear it but you asked?), that you go to a major Christian Liberal Arts or State University (Regionally Accredited) and work on and obtain a degree that will help you make a living apart from ministry training. Like the Apostle Paul, be a "tent maker." You could get a degree in accounting, chemistry, biology, or one of the one(s) that will always let you make a living like nursing or teaching.

And I (we) know all of the arguments against "why" a young minister should not do the "quick route" to a ministry degree. But, you must remember that you are not preparing just for the immediate future but for the long term, maybe even 50 years serving our Lord Jesus Christ. Also, remember that a "call to preach" is a call to prepare and that more is usually better when it comes to education than less.

It is a hard thing to be in a bad way when a congregation has turned you out and you have 1, 2, or 3 children and a wife and you cannot make a living for them b/c you only have "ministry training!" The Lord does want us to live by faith, but he also does not want us to be stupid in the ways of the world.

I would caution you to think through these issues seriously for your decision now could and probably will save you some heartaches and headaches later.

I don't know if you are SBC or not. But consider this. At any one time we may have 15,000 people in seminary and graduate about 5,000 per year. Some of these are going to have to be bi-vocational. There are not enough churches, staff positions, denominational positions, etc. for everyone to have a "full time gig!" So many of these must make their own living. Hard facts but truth demonstrated. FYI!

Also remember that you asked and the answers are intended in love to help you in the long term!!!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

3. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

Thanks for your advice. I am very encouraged by your post. I am studying for my degree in Middle School Education. Your post encouraged me because some would say I had a "lack of faith" by getting a degree in education, first. I am a youth pastor right now at a church that might not be able to have a full time minister on staff (I feel I am where God wants me though). As a teacher, I could do both. I am just looking for a place to study to help benefit the Kingdom in some way. I want to learn so much more about Ministry and Gods Word. I ordered the Logos program and it came in today. I am excited about that and feel that is a good start. The good thing is I go to a fully accredited Christian college that requires 30 hours of Bible and Ministry with every degree (most I have). If you have anymore advide I would appreciate it. God Bless

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Good for you with your education studies. Rhet is right on with his advice. Your family is a higher priority than your ministry. Indeed, your family (as is mine) is your ministry. "If a man does not take care of his household, how can he take care of a church?" is always to be remembered.

Hang in there. Getting this degree is part of your faithfulness.

Blessings,
    Bill