1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching of the Gospel these days

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by joey, Oct 13, 2011.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What was the preachers name and what church did it happen in?

2. joey

joey Member

The problem with your story is that phrase "that I knew of".
    *You did not know her to begin with
    *You did not know if she was really deaf/ how deaf, what was the cause of that deafness etc.
    *You do not know what her condition is like now if she had been healed. There are plenty of psychological studies that prove the power of suggestion.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The very same thing happened to me on May 24th, 2007. I still remember that experience well. I think of the song "The Dearest Friend I Ever Had"!! That sums it up completely.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, I am not of the charisamtice stripe, but why do we question this which "plain n' simple" stated as fact? Listen, God is still in the healing business, in fact, He has never stopped healing people. So, I for one, will say a hearty AMEN to the healing of a deaf person.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

She was deaf the whole time(years) that I knew her. Now she hears and that is amazing to me praise God!

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What was the preachers name and what church did it happen in?

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Don't this would be a baptist dividing issue, IF those of us holding to them still opearting are CLEAR that we do NOT hold to them as word of faith/prosperity teaches, NO modern day Apostles/Prophets, those offices ceased with the Apostle themselves!

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Was it due to prayer? Or did a person who claims to be a faith healer perform this miracle?

If it was a person who claimed to be a faith healer, then what denomination did he belong to?

Why do I ask? Because I beleive that the purpose of miracles, signs, and wonders is given by God to confirm true doctrine but Satan also has power to perform real geuine miracles, signs and wonders but they are called "lying" signs because they confirm false doctrine.

9. plain_n_simple

It was a guest speaker we invited and after some worship he talked about Jesus and what He did while on earth and how we are supposed to do the same. Then he asked if anyone needed prayer or wanted to accept Christ. A few got up and he simply prayed for the woman and then she could hear! We were all in shock but the joy was tremedous! Then he spoke more about God. The man did not claim to be anything but a fellow believer. You can try and say this is false or unscriptural I don't mind, I was there and it was amazing the first time I saw a man operating in the spirit.

10. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Are you attributing this healing to God answering prayer OR are you attributing this to "a man operating in the spirit"?? I know of many who operate in the Spirit - meaning they are filled and walk in the power of the Holy Spirit but no one is healed by their prayers. Do you operate in the Spirit? If not, how do you operate? in the flesh?

In other words, was there something characteristic of this man as a "believer" that does not characterize other believers that you attribute this healing? Does this man characteristically go church to church claiming God uses him to heal people?

What interested your church to invite him to speak in the first place?

11. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Did you know that Jesus also predicted that in the last days there would be an authentic miracle, sign and wonder movement identical to that of Christ and the apostles in his name that would be empowered by Satan? (Mt. 7:22; 24:24-25; 2 Thes. 2:9).

Since the miracles, signs and wonders are the same in nature - authentic - do you know how to tell the difference?

12. joey

joey Member

That is wonderful! Yes God can do wonderful things when it is according to His will. :godisgood:

13. joey

joey Member

I am cautiously skeptical as years ago (when I lived in another city) I went to a charismatic church that believed in miracles and had healing prayer ministries.

I saw a couple of apparent healings at one particularly Charismatic healing service which turned out to be temporary easing of those disease's symptoms. They had not been healed despite feeling that they had been healed at the time.

14. plain_n_simple

All I know it's been over six months and the woman can still hear. The devil came to kill steal and destroy. If that was the devil healing the deaf in Jesus name I missed something lol.

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Would you be so kind to answer my specific questions I asked in my last post? If it is authentic then you have nothing to worry about in simply giving straight answers to very simple questions. Right?

16. plain_n_simple

I am not worried and I do not need to "authenticate" anything sir. I saw it happen and she still hears after being deaf for most her life! It's as simple and straight as that. If you think the devil healed her that's your option. Should I tell the woman she shouldn't be healed because of some doctrine? lol So as to not overtake this thread, how about starting a new one or you can ask me questions in PM.

17. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The Bible commands me not to believe your word on such matters because (1) You are not God; (2) you are not inspired by God; (3) You can be decieved; (4) we are to test all things (5) Try the spirits to see is the command of scripture rather than gullably swallow every story we hear!

The very fact you are not forthwith in regard to very simple questions implies deception at the base of this story.

18. plain_n_simple

If that's how you feel I understand and a good day to you sir.

19. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

This is exactly why your kind of personal witness is so discredited as even the Scriptures command to let everything be confirmed by two or three witnesses and bring everything out in the light to be evaluated for what it really is. Jesus said this of Himself and I don't think you believe you are equal or better than Jesus:

"If I bear witness of myself my witness is NOT TRUE"

Of course his witness was true, but that was not his point. His point was that he did not say anything that could not be validated and tested and confirmed by others. He brought out everything into the light of public inspection because he had nothing to hide , nothing to be ashamed of, and indeed invited inspection.

Invite the light if you have nothing to fear.

Jesus never did anything in secret or kept anything he believed secret - He invited inspection.

#39 Dr. Walter, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
  20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Dhk and I have gone around the bend on this issue of Gifts ceasing or not, my take is that they still exist, but function NOT ina revealtory basis today, as Bible is ALL that we need for doctrines/rules practices, and it IS indeed fully trustworthy accurate in all that it says!