1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching or writing books?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 30, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems there are many authors that preach books and there are many that write them. Do you see advantages and drawbacks to both approaches? David Jeremiah and Erwin Lutzer seem to preach allot of their books. Ray Comfort writes his books and the style and writing excellence shows right up when doing it this way. Personally I think it is better to write books, but not everyone agrees with me. Some preachers plagiarize, do not cite their sources and such all because they preach their books.

2. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has been customary, since the advent of the printed press, for Sunday Sermons to be published in the local paper.
    We have nearly 400 years of sermons, published this way.

Both means are acceptable, until one puts out a 'book' of Sermons for chapters, and pawns it off as a book.

If folks would just keep them separate, then they could be enjoyed as what they are.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Some preachers plagiarize, do not cite their sources and such all because they preach their books." Could be true but the comment just screams PROOF please! :)

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Can No Longer Preach, So I....

....write books. Once my "physical thorns" became so limiting that traveling and even serving a church on any kind of regular basis were no longer options, the Lord nudged me to write books. At this point in time, the books have done well, and I have two more projects I hope to finish in 2014, plus, putting out the second editions of my first two books.

After I questioned my publisher on their choice to keep their second in command on staff, after he was arrested for molesting his foster daughter for more than seven years, and was removed as a publisher, the need to re-release the two books has been a necessity!

Like any preacher or person in the ministry, I covet your prayers!

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out some of Paul Chappell books. There is one on the Holy Spirit of which he plagiarizes throughout the book.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are the names of your books?

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh, ONE out of multiplied thousands of preachers is proof that "some preachers plagiarize" Maybe some quotes from Chappell's books and true authors would convince. :) Actually I have noted many direct quotes with no attribution in the old time commentaries and theologies as well. Not a nice thing to do.

Few years ago I read something on a forum that looked very familiar, did some searching and found that I had written it. :) I contacted the man that did it and he told me a "tv preacher" had asked him to post it and ask for comments to help in his research.