1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching The Law And The Gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate Iain H.Murray . I don't agree with some things he has written . But I especially enjoy his biographies of Pink , Lloyd-Jones , Jn. Edwards , John Murray etc. One of his more recent works is " The Old Evangelicalism : Old Truths For A New Awakening " . He wants a return to the old paths ( and he doesn't mean of the last 100 or so years ) . He has some good quotes of men of the past who he thinks were more biblical regarding the proclamation of the Word of God . He develops his own thoughts as well as citing relevant scriptures .

Chapter one is Preaching And Awakening " . On page 37 he cites Dr.L-J as saying :

It is the law of God alone that really gives us a right conception of the true character and nature of sin . This is a tremendous proposition . The real trouble with the unregenerate is that they do not know and understand the truth about sin . They have their moral code , they believe that certain things are right and certain things are wrong ; but that is not to understand sin . The moment a man understands the true nature and character of sin he becomes troubled about his soul and seeks for a Saviour . It is the peculiar function of the law to bring such an understanding to a man's mind and conscience . That is why great evangelical preachers three hundred years ago in the time of the Puritans , and two hundred years ago in the time of Whitefield and others , always engaged in what they called a preliminary " law work " . In their preaching of the Gospel they generally started with a presentation of the Law . They knew that a man would not understand salvation unless he understood the nature of sin .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing with Murray's book on The Old Evangelicalism , He cites L-J again from a message of L-J on the Sermon On The Mount . In chapter two of Murray's book ( 69 ) he quotes L-J as saying :

There is no true evangelism without the doctrine of sin , and without an understanding of what sin is . I do not want to be unfair , but I say that a gospel whch merely says " Come to Jesus " , and offers Him as a Friend , and offers a marvellous new life , without convicting of sin , is not New Testament evangelism . The essence of evangelism is to start by preaching the law ; and it is because the law has not been preached that we have so much superficial evangelism ... evangelism must start with the holiness of God , the sinfulness of man and the eternal consequences of evil and wrong-doing . It is only the man who has been brought to see his guilt in this way who flies to Christ for deliverance and redemption .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a book called : " 2200 Quotations From The Writings Of Charles H.Spurgeon . It was edited by Tom Carter and put out thru Baker Books . It's a valuable resource . This CHS quote is found in Volume 32 ( 1886 )of the Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit , page 27 .

I do not believe that any man can preach the gospel who does not preach the law . The law is the needle , and and you cannot draw the silken thread of the gospel through a man's heart unless you first send the needle of the law to make way for it . If men do not understand the law , they will not feel that they are sinners . And if they are not consciously sinners , they will never value the sin offering . There is no healing a man till the law has wounded him , no making him alive till the law has slain him .

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon,

Along these same lines of "Law and Gospel" you might want to get a copy of Tom Nettles new monograph, "Ready for Reformation." It is as good a new work making the above points of MLJ and Spurgeon that I have seen lately.

It seems to me this is one of the reasons that the "Seeker Sensitive" nonsense, and "Easy Believism" tactics, and the "Purpose Driven Life" are so successful is; there is no preaching of the Law followed by the grace of God's true and pure Gospel. Most is man-centered rather than God-centered. Preaching the Law and its holy requirements will certainly undo manmade systems.

Amen! or Oh Me?

sdg!

rd

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...calvinism being one of them.

7. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Rippon - nothing left to be said except AMEN!