1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching the rest of the week

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I saw the thread on preparing to preach on Sunday, but...

What do you do to prepare yourself to "preach" the rest of the week?

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

pray...a lot
    I pray for wisdom and understanding of the text. I pray God helps me stay faithful to the text and His message. I pray for the people who will hear the sermon.

search for applicable historical information or any other information that might help me, and the hearers, understand the text better

pray for understanding modern applications of the lesson of the text

read...a lot....read commentaries, read sermons, read the same passage in multiple translations

take some time to think about the text while doing something else....chores around the house or maybe playing with the kids

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question!

For me Sunday morning prep starts with planning my preaching for the next 6 months. I go thru a book so I know the general content, but this gives me a chance to study ahead and get material for both the mental file and the paper file i try to keep.

Mondays are my study day to pull together the back ground material and decide the main point of the author. I keep coming back to it thru the week. Friday morning is the outline day (if not done before) so we can print the sermon notes for the bulletin and get it on the power point.

Saturday is for family, but at night, i will review the sermon serveral times by using the ppt. What really makes Saturday nights rough is when Nascar is racing... :thumbs:

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For we non-clergy our sermon other days of the week are our actions and words with those we meet during the week.