1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preaching the whole of scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 22, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither verse shows proof of the belief.

First, your analogy was about you sitting as God in judgment upon your own son. God did do that very event at the cross. It is that you consider God overlooked the sin of His own Son and let His "perfect love" extend even through death and Hell. That is not Scriptural. When Christ rose He said to the woman, "Do not touch me." signifying He had yet to appear before the Father and there was the unfinished business of redemption and restoration/glorification. Your analogy failed.

Second, by extrapolating your "perfect" love view, a believer would then be obliged to even love Satan and demonic forces.

Did Peter love Christ? Not "perfectly" but only as in friendship.

Joh 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou (agapao) me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
    16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou (agapao) me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love(phileo) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
    17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou (phileo) me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou (phileo) me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. ​

Christ did not demand of Peter perfect love, but honesty.

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK Sure it was......:rolleyes:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay??

Well, you posted a while back that only the sheep are lost, the goats are right where they're supposed to be. Now, which is it?

Correct. Jesus Christ is the center of predestination. We who are saved are grafted into His election(John 15).

John 15 New International Version (NIV)

The Vine and the Branches
    15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

John the Baptist disagrees with you.

John 1:29-31 NIV

John Testifies About Jesus
    29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”

Anyone who is saved must call out to Him in order to be saved. We must believe that Jesus IS Lord.

Why must they be quickened first, Brother Iconoclast?

This is why the lost die lost.

Hebrews 316-19 NIV
    16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

The lost die lost due to unbelief, period, and not for lack of atonement.

In Exodus 12, God gave instruction to ALL OF ISRAEL that they must sacrifice a lamb or goat(types of Christ), and then place the blood upon the two side posts and upper door post, and when He would pass by that night, the first born would be killed that did not have this blood applied.

Now, look at Leviticus 16:

20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat:(a type of Christ as He bore the sin of the world upon Himself)

21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

So again, anyone who dies lost, does so because of unbelief, and not for a lack of atonement.

4. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

UHHHHH....YAA :confused:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Opinions are like nostrils.

Ahhh....no. It wasn't intended to portray the judge being God, but the fact a death sentence does not equate to a lack of love as you alluded to. Apparently you didn't get the analogy.
    ...or your understanding of my intent behind the analogy failed.

Non sequitur. We are discussing human love, not Angels and Demons.

Do any of us love "perfectly"? Not a chance...but it doesn't negate the fact that God does and expects us to. If we are going to portray God's love based on how you define it, it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged to hate not only His enemies but our own. One little problem with that...Jesus called us out as being murderers for doing so, and no murderer inherits eternal life.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we use God's Word to deceive.

Matthew 5:48 applied to Peter as much as it applies to us.

#45 webdog, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not?

Is there any indication that it is to be taken figuratively?

There are some psalms that certainly have multiple applications, and some that are not to be applied to this current time, but are for the millennial kingdom, the cross, the time of the temple/tabernacle...

More to the point look at what Malachi records from God:

1:2 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,
    3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.
    4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the LORD of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the LORD hath indignation for ever. ​

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I do, in fact, despite your abuse of exclamation points, back them up with Scriptures, in a previous post here:

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: You simply didn't care to read, you simply didn't care to consider, you simply didn't care to acknowledge....then again, I do know this, it is immaterial how many Scriptures I post. ALL, of them will be explained away or ignored.
    You have learned merely by repetition that to accuse Arminians of failing to use Scripture is an inerrant "gotcha" therefore we could have posted 1,000 of them and they would be ignored. Allow me to explain, we often have a habit of posting only one or two worthy of serious consideration before we move on with a conversation, because we feel that each one is signifigant enough to merit vetting prior to it's dismissal. As a Cal, you couldn't care less, and instead merely seek to see which side is capable of copy/pasting the higher volume of insignifigant and irrelevant verse addresses.

#47 HeirofSalvation, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Um...because it is a poetic song?

You tell me. Are the wicked's throats really open graves? I don't see a literal shield around me either.
    When you allow Bible to explain Bible it doesn't support our 21st century definition of hate equating to the absence of love.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Willis....anyone who dies in their sins ...has NO ATONEMENT, No PROPITIATION...at all they are uncovered from the wrath of God which abides on them...romans 1 the wrath of God is revealed from heaven, the Love of God is revealed in the cross.....look and live...like the bronze serpent.

Those who did not look.....the bronze serpent did not help at all.....
    I believe being that God is the one who determines who benefits from the blood being directly applied.....He does not waste it....It is an exact substition for an exact amount of sins....they are ACTUALLY paid in full....not potentially paid. Many are in hell who never had a chance to believe...but they are dead in sins......and justly punished for each and every sin....
    God keeps track........

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And some have deviated septum - doesn't make the breathing easier.

Can you use Scripture to prove that "God does and expects" what you state as the question, "Do any of us love perfectly?" Seems like you are attempting to state a person cannot do what God does and expects a person to do.

Throughout the Scriptures there are examples of what and who to hate is given. And no single verse negates any other Scripture. I haven't "defined" what that basis is, but have shown a few of the Scriptures.

That some may not enjoy the Scriptural principles, or enjoin to them is not a deficit of my lack of definition or portrayal.

Perfect (God's) love, is NOT unconditional; just as a parent does not extend unconditional love to their children much less the neighbor's children.

It is unfortunate that some (and even I) have used unconditional love to express the perfect love of God, but unfortunately it really is an unScriptural.

Believers at times do miss what Peter states it takes to achieve "perfect love."

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
    4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
    5 ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
    6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
    7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
    8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. ​

One does not achieve "perfect love" and leave any of the other building blocks out of order, unattended, neglected, or missing. The "divine nature" is not a product of man generated effort, but the precious promises bestowed by work of Christ through the Holy Spirit.

What Peter could not do by the sea side in the presence of Christ he shows can be achieved.

Most certainly. No disagreement with those two sentences at all.

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

John the "reformed" Baptist? :confused: Where'd you pick this up? I have never read that in any version.

Jesus atoned for the sin of the world so that whosoever believes will be saved. Nothing needs to be added to this, neither taken away. Christ died for the ungodly, and Romans 3:23 plainly states that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Again, nothing needs to be added to this, neither taken away. I take solice in this, and I am sure you do, too:"There will be NO ONE who comes to Christ in true repentence and faith that He will not save!" :thumbs: I am sure we are in agreement with at least this assessment of mine....or at least I hope, and pray, so.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The typical response of one who has been stung by a post creating discord rather than building accord is:

Blame shifting.

Denial.

Aggressiveness.

Demeaning.

I apologize for my post creating such an upheaval of emotion in you, I probably should have used a far more soft answer.

The one verse you post has nothing to say about the eternal grief for all eternity you suppose upon God to those who are in hell.

"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekiel 23:11) This may be...the only question I am aware of in the Scriptures, that God simply does not know the answer to. And it hurts him. ​

YOU did not answer the question,and by placing humanistic emotionalism of "it hurts him" into the what the verse is expressing is not supportive, either. Does "it hurt him" for eternity? THAT is the question in which you have not provided Scripture to answer.

Besides, if you don't post any verses how will your contention that all will "be explained away or ignored" be valid?

13. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick question: Where do you find a verse to state that "Jesus atoned for the sin of the world"? I am aware of John 3:16, but it doesn't really say this.

One that is closest in phrasing is John 1:29:

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"

But here we have Jesus actually taking away the sin of the world.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an awful statement!!!!

How do you suppose to explain the Bible without the Bible?

What do suppose is supporting (y)our 21st century definition of hate equating to the absence of love if NOT the Bible?

What do you use for your final authority if not the Bible?

The 21st century makes the Bible outdated in what ways?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What happened to preaching on what Jesus taught?

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Exodus 12 and Leviticus 16, for starters.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, this is a novel idea right here. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::applause::thumbsup:Overall we agree more than we do not agree .....we just go back and forth on these same couple of issues....
    keep serving the Lord Willis....

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is what Jesus taught,,that is the point of the article.....

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I, too, agree, that we agree more than we disagree. Now, if you would only come over to the amill camp.....:laugh: