1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching to Indians

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Revelator, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Revelator

Revelator New Member

I have been invited to preach at a Camp for Indian children out in Montana...thing is I feel that God wants me to so amid praying and such I feel that I need to go. My brother and sister both have worked in the ministry out there before and they tell that the culture is way different than most people would expect. I know that the gospel is the same as it has been since Christ died I'm not worried about preachin, its reaching the children, so if any of you know where i can do some crash studying on winning that culture any help would be appreciated.
    I would like to ask you guys to pray for me physically and spiritually. I still need money to travel on and I am content that if God wants me there he wil provide a way. thank you in advance.

*waves at everyone on the board* glad to see ya again. [​IMG]

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Resoursces from Indians who are leaders among the indians.

Victor Cope an his wife Liz
    Jimmy Anderson
    Russell Begaye

Please call the Baptist Building office in Oklahoma (405)962- durn, I can't remember. Call information for Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma office in 3800 North May in OKC, and they will direct you to the missions department, where they can possibly give you phone numbers to these great people.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worked as interim at Calvary Baptist on the Wind River Reservation in central Wyoming. Most Indian children are being indoctrinated by the families about honoring the Indian heritage and beliefs.

Accepting ANY "white mans' beliefs" is contra-indicated. So the best thing I found was to start where there was 100% agreement. One God, creator of heaven and earth, love and concern for all mankind. Sin, sorrow for it (repentance), fear

Then bring in the unique and blessed Gospel message of Christ!

Then I found effective to show how it reached people of EVERY ethnic group - Ethiopian Eunuch, European, Jew, Arab, etc

Finally focused on their response.

Hope this helps.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pastor Chet who is a member here heads up a ministry called Rez Connection, the largest outreach to American Indians in the U.S. He would be happy to answer any questions that you may have about this.

http://www.rezconnection.org/