1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching vs. teaching

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, May 28, 2013.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We had our ladies' group tonight and this subject came up about taking notes and walking away from the message with a "to do" item or list in our heads. There ended up being a short discussion about the difference between "teaching", which will make note taking easy and have you walk away with ideas to do/change/something and "preaching" where minds wander and they don't know what was talked about at the end. That's how they described it. One woman said that her old pastor "preached" from the pulpit and it was very hard to follow him but when he taught a class, he was awesome and she has whole notebooks from the classes he taught.

So, is there a difference between "preaching" and "teaching", what should be done from the pulpit and what does your pastor do?

Oh - it was said that our pastor (my husband) teaches. :)

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This has been a topic of debate for ages. I knew an old preacher who asked a man "are you a preaching teacher or a teaching preacher"? That question shows they can overlap at times.

However, the baseline distinction seems be that teaching is primarily directed to convince the mind of truth, whereas preaching is primarily directed to move the heart to act upon the truth.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching is teaching and if the congregation is having a hard time following the preacher he needs to make changes to his delivery.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree RevMitchell. I know that there is teaching as in teaching a class but I expect that teaching from the pulpit includes preaching because you're not just giving information but you're looking to give information that causes change. At least that's what I know my hubby does!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    peter was preaching in Acts to the crowd, while paul was teaching in book of Romans to us!