1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestination

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Allan, I can go along with the idea of "permissive" will, but it falls under his will of decree, because whatever he permits, he certainly decrees. In fact, this what I've said a few times now - that God actively works good in people, but he does not actively work sin into people. So God is the author of all good in this world, but he is never the author of evil, even though he permits evil by his will of decree.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree as well.
    Now you must define "decreed". :smilewinkgrin:

Does that mean that God determind what every person will do?
    OR
    Does that mean that God knowing all things (what He would do and what man would do) decreed that it should be just as He knows it to be?
    IOW - unchanged and set forth.

OR
    some other way....?

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

This last portion of Post #39:
    Was actaully supposed to be just after the Luke (or around there) passage in Post #40 (toward the top)

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The answer is probably...some other way. His decree is more than just foreknowledge or omniscience. He actively works in this world. And I believe he actively works in the hearts of men bringing about any good that comes about. He does not do that with sin, though. I think he keeps people from sinning at times, though - even the reprobate. He could have thwarted the plans of the 9/11 terrorists, for example. But he did not. I expect to learn in heaven of many other instances where he did thwart the evil plans of men, though. In both cases (where he thwarts and where he allows), it was his decree that it should be so. And it is all by the good pleasure of his [decretive] will. Being a history major myself, I expect to have countless history lessons in heaven where God shows us how and why he decreed the things that came to pass in this world. And yes, the lessons will be countless - ever learning and never exhausting the full knowledge and wisdom and glory of God.

In the end, I credit all good in this world to Almighty God alone. And that includes my faith and salvation and any good works I do thereafter. And that is where the Cal and non-Cal ultimately depart. We both affirm that sin is from the desire of the sinner and from Satan and his demons. And while we both affirm that God is a source, even the primary source, of all good, including faith, the Cal says, "it is all because of God," while the non-Cal says, "God can only save me if I permit him to." That's where we differ on God's permissive will - we both say God permits evil, but the non-Cal says that God also permits good (though he may actively work good, too). The Cal says that God actively works all good, which includes my ability to have faith.

#44 Andy T., Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Thank you brother, and I agree with much of what you said. I think Psalms 5:5. The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity.... is pointing out that there are *people* whom God hates... not just the sin.
    The point i'm making is this. Without our righteousness imputed by Christ, God would have to hate us. He is three times Holy. Look at it like this. God's dwelling has the most white of white carpet. We live in the sewer and we drip with the excretement that comes from the sewer. We try to approach God in His perfectly white carpeted dwelling. He not only turns us away.... He does so in a repulsive way. Without being covered with Christ.... God hates us. That is the best way I know to convey the meaning i'm trying to get across. His Holiness can not have a thing to do with, including love, someone who is not covered with the attoning sacrifice of Jesus. You see, I also see John 3:16 as saying that God loved all people in this manner, that He sent His Son to die for them....... the all people is all races of people... and that the offer is there for all inclusively or universally, but the fact is that they loved the darkness, so they must be born again. That is...... God can not love those who are not born again, or will be born again. You may have to show me how He does. Maybe i'm not seeing what you want me to see........ :laugh: I do know that there are more than one meaning to the word love however. Thanks bro,.

6. reformedbeliever

God loved those who are His before they were born. He foreknew (had a relationship) in a loving way, before they existed. We were born enemies of God who hated God... and had to be regenerated before we would love Him. Those whom God did not forelove, He still hates. I'm open to you helping me believe differently....... I just don't see it in scripture.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's good. But, it still doesn't answer the question: What is adoption?

What is redemption?

What is the mystery of his will?

What is our inheritance?

How does calling, justification, and glorification apply to us?

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

My, there is a lot there. Sounds like it could be a new thread for a new discussion. For now, I prefer sticking with the OP and predestination. But if anyone else wants to hash out these various definitions, then that is fine too.

#48 Andy T., Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can this be :confused:

How can a relationship be formed when the object of that relationship has yet to exist?
    I agree with the premise in that God exists in all times at the same time, but the relationship was not formed prior to my existence within that time. That being the case, if all people are born guilty, everyone is born enemies to God, meaning a relationship does not come into fruition until faith in Christ.

10. reformedbeliever

Nope....... this is *my* thread and I don't want it hijacked! :laugh:

Just kidding. :godisgood:

11. reformedbeliever

Web, read Jeremiah 1: 5. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."

The word yada is to know in an intimate way. As Adam knew his wife Eve.

12. reformedbeliever

Read this link bro. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/4027/aboutpredestination.html

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I realize that, but to use it the way you are would mean that Jeremiah existed prior to his existence. His foreknowledge stems both from His omniscience and omnipresence.

14. reformedbeliever

As far as God is concerned, he did exist before he existed. So much so that God had a loving relationship with him.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the link.

The bolded I dont' agree with. As far as God is concerned, God existed in the past and the future at the same time Jeremiah was born. That's how He had a relationship with him. He existed at every moment of Jeremiah's life at the exact same time, as well as before his existence. There is no pre or fore with an omnipresent God, but there is a pre and fore with us. Jeremiah didn't exist before he existed, God existed before Jeremiah existed...and during...and after...and presently...all at the exact same time.

16. reformedbeliever

But the Bible says "before you were born I knew yada you. Christ is the word which existed eternally with God also... but yet He became and man and moved through time as we know it. I think the "before you were born" means more than just God's omnipresence or omniscience. I think that God had a relationship with Jeremiah and us.... before we were born or even before the foundation of the world. I appreciate what you say about God's omnipresence... and believe that too. Its like I said about predestination.... if you do something you were predestined to do it, or it would not be done. If someone really wants to be saved, and exercises their wills to do so, it was predestined by God. :godisgood: That is easy huh? lol

17. reformedbeliever

Think about this web. Do we really exist or are we just a thought in God's mind? When talking about God's omnipresence....... it takes us to some pretty unimaginable places. I love science fiction ........ such as time travel... and the paradoxes that seem to be. Such as the grandfather paradox... which seems to favor predestintation. You could not go back in time and kill or cause to be killed your grandfather.... or you would never have existed to go back in time. :laugh:

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

RB, this would have to make us omnitemporal, too. If we exist before we actually exist, where do the reprobate exist prior to their existence? I believe omnitemporalness is an attribute for God only.

19. reformedbeliever

When does a person's spirit come into being? At birth? At conception? That might make a good thread. :)

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Done! :thumbs: