1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestined to what?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Adoption has to do with position within the family, not being put into the family. When you are born from above into the family of God, what need to have to be artificially placed into the family?

At the moment that you are saved or born from above, you are in the family.

Placement within the family comes later; that's what you're waiting for.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

John, chapter 6
    "63": It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Ephesians, chapter 2
    "1": And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians, chapter 2
    "5": Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

1 Corinthians, chapter 15
    "36": Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

Romans, chapter 8

"11": But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall (also quicken) your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    (Also means something has already been quicken, "the soul".)

Romans 8
    "21": Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

"22": For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

"23": And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

1 Corinthians, chapter 15
    "36": Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

(actually this Scripture is talking about the body but same is true with the Soul, it must first die and the Soul has already died dead to the love of sin and made alive in Christ Jesus and is waiting on the redemption of the body, which is in the resurrection.)

And no!! I wasn't saying God could say one thing and do another for He said "time and chance has happened to all men".

#102 Brother Bob, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2006
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We're at ten pages. Let's wrap this up. Without objection from other moderators, let's invoke the 24 hour notice. This thread will be closed at or after 10 am Tuesday, eastern.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I totally belive in predestination but could you help me answer a friend? She asks "If some are predestined to come to Christ, why didn't God just create those who He chose and not bother with the rest? Why do we have a free will? How are we 'free' to choose to come to Christ?"

Thanks!
    Annie

5. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

why?

He tells you in Rom 9:20, 21:love2:

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

the truth

Actually Annie, both of what you state are true! God is sovereign and chooses some to come to Him in faith. Also, man is responsible and accountable as to his decisions and his life, though at the same time he is deciding and choosing God has determined it all! That in no way frees us from being both responsible and accountable!

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Tom Vols;
    Are the threads only going to be allowed 10 pages now with the new format?

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

With all due respect, whoever made this decision is going to kill this board. If discussion is active on a particular thread it should be allowed to continue as long as it is on topic and productive, which this has been. Why do you think people come here? To discuss matters of concern and debate, but if you keep moving topics and cutting the discussions people aren't going to keep coming back, IMO.

Have the board members been consulted as to these types of decisions?

9. Skandelon

It is really irrelevant because adoption into sonship is accomplished through faith, thus adoption follows faith and therefore the intepretation I've submitted is perfectly valid. All those who are "in Christ" through faith have been predestined to be adopted and conformed. God decided beforehand how he would reward those with faith, but nothing is said about his determining some to have faith and not others.

10. Skandelon

This is a common mistake Calvinists make. They misapply these passages as if Paul is speaking about God choosing to show mercy to some and harden others is equal to their understanding of election of some and the reprobation of the rest.

Calvinists mistakenly believe that when Paul says, "I will show mercy to whom I will show mercy and I will harden whom I will harden," that he means, "I will save the elect and condemn all the rest." The reason they make this mistake is they think hardening is an sentence of certain condemnation to the "non-elect" individuals. No so.

Israel was being hardened temporarily. (Romans 11:26) But it is quite clear that even those being hardened at that time might be saved once provoked to envy (Romans 11:14) thus the Calvinistic application of these texts are incorrect and misleading to uninformed believers.

Paul is not responding to the objection of an Arminian when he writes, "So why should he blame us? Who can resist his will?" As if God has chosen to pass over a man born without hope of salvation and hardened in his depravity from birth. Instead Paul is answering the objection of a Jew who has freely rebelled against God's revelations for centuries and who is now being sealed or locked into that rebellious state for a time so that God can show mercy to all men through his crucifixion. Had the Jews believed in Christ they wouldn't have killed him, but in order for Christ's purposes to be fulfilled He had to seal the Jews in their rebellion so that they could not see, hear, understand and repent for a time. Jesus hid the gospel from them in parables so that they could not believe and be saved (Mk. 4) which makes no sense if the doctrine of Total Depravity is true. Jesus didn't want Jews to come to salvation UNTIL the right time, which was after the crucifixion and the ingrafting of the Gentiles.

This is all clearly explained throughout scripture. I encourage Calvinists to read Romans 11 again, with an open mind, and see that even the hardening process was an act of mercy. "He bound (or hardened) all men over to disobedience so that he may show mercy to them all." (11:32) Even in hardening God was showing mercy, not condemnation!

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Administrators and Moderators set policy here at Baptist Board (Thank GOD!) and have the discretion to close threads at any time. In an effort to conserve much needed bandwidth, a general rule of thumb has been ten pages, give or take, unless circumstances mitigate otherwise. However, the new Baptist Board has shorter pages than the previous one. Therefore, I'll revoke the 24 hour notice. However, bandwidth is not the only reason this can be invoked. Members who do not carry themselves in a Christlike demeanor (something that has gotten out of hand lately in this forum), topics that are not on point, pages full of rehash, etc., can invoke the 24 hour notice. As I said, I'll revoke the 24 hour notice, but let's keep the gloves up and do right by each other, okay?

#111 TomVols, Jun 5, 2006
  12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I differ

I beg to differ! Please dont tell Paul what he is saying when he so clearly has stated his point with perfectly easy to be understood words! Calvinists are not wrong. Arminians refuse to consider and allow that God is sovereign and that they are not in charge, He is!
    Have you prayed with sincerity and asked God to reveal whether His word is true! He will answer and show you all the doctrines of grace in detail, with scripture to substantiate each one so clearly you cant possibly miss it!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[Removal of off topic post. Please focus on the original topic of the opening post. If you wish to discuss something else start a new thread.]

#113 Brother Bob, Jun 5, 2006
  14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Calvinists and Arminians can both hurl the "Pray and God will reveal truth to you so you can agree with me" at each other all day long. Does it really help the discourse any? Come on folks.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's my point. It's not a predestination to simply being saved.

16. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Perhaps it doesnt help the discourse but it certainly helped my life, which is what I was attesting to actually!
    Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps!!

It was providence, for sure!

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

On turning "hardening" into "mercy", from "Bondage of the Will" by Martin Luther.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ecclesiastes
    "2": Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
    "14": I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
    "17": Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
    "19": For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
    "8": Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Help us out. How is quoting this phrase in Eccl. germane to the topic?

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Help us out. How is quoting this phrase in Eccl. germane to the topic?[/quote]
    I was just going along with your statement above, just agreeing with what you said.

#120 Brother Bob, Jun 5, 2006