1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Predictions for CBA Best Selling Bibles...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,at least it uses more modern English compared with the KJV. However,NKJV English has a long way to go before it might be considered normal English.

I see you follow the Grudem,Ryken,Bayly Bros.,crowd. But even World magazine has been strangely quiet in this go-round in contrast to its shameful conduct a decade ago.

2. Rhys

Rhys Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all, no: just protective of tradition. I have always understood 'man' and 'mankind' as generic pronouns to refer to humanity at large: I take no umbrage with these, and will never understand people that do.

A few years ago, when I was still a Methodist, I bought a NRSV study Bible without checking the NRSV out first. Never in a million years will 'Happy is the mortal' ever be an acceptable replacement for 'Blessed is the man.'

I could deal with 'Blessed are they.' I could even get used to it. After all, that's what 'Blessed is the man' means. Anything beyond that is subversion.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is this fascination with the NIV?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By Methodist do you mean UMC (give us your hearts, minds, wallets......shtick)?

I'm becoming fascinated by that UMC iteration. Somehow my own ancestors, as recently as the 80's, were all Welsh Calvinistic Methodist. Somehow however that went away & then appeared to have either blended into that movement....in my fathers case, they tipped their hats to the Congregational Churches in Pennsylvania that still somewhat taught doctrine (via DoG) & then disappeared. Ive read all I can about it through Martyn Lloyd-Jones & George Whitefield (who was instrumental in its development) but alas it has disappeared into the mist.

Recently, I visited with my local UMC (biggest UMC in the state of NJ) and spoke with the pastor who got them there. He has 2 criterion:

1. Convert Roman Catholics
    2. What ever you do, stay far away from doctrine.

To their credit, they do much for the community but feed them "Easy Believism" and make sure you pass the collection basket. Very reminiscent to Roman Catholicism of my youth. no wonder catholics are drawn to it. Is this the end result of Arminian theology....a cursory understanding of the bible, no doctrine & a gathering center to congregate on Sunday (if you choose to)? In that case, no thanks.

But to be fair, in New Jersey at least, Traditional Baptist Churches have jettisoned the name "Baptist" and have themselves become community centers, the Presbyterians and Reformed Churches are following that pattern & (from a conversation with two 7 Day Adventists) there is the gravitational pull of "Easy Belief" going on there as well.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that he follows conservative traditional scholarship that doesn;t see the real need to revise and update the scriptures in order to accomodate modern cultural morals and customs!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you still persist in your lies. All Bible translations need to be updated. And it has nothing to do with accomodating modern cultral morals and customs. Why in the world do you still attend your church? If you really believe the nonsense you claim you should leave your church instantly because your pastor preaches from the 2011 NIV. You are one confused fella.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah,tradition.That is not a good criteria for anything.
    That's fine. It's just that most people these days do not use those terms with your understanding. By the way,the terms "man" and "mankind" are still used in the NIV --just not as frequently as the NASB and NKJ for instance.
    I don't take umbrage --it's just a recognized fact that the English language is changing. Your attitude is similiar to that of folks a few generations ago who found to their displeasure that modern versions were "missing thee,thou and thine."
    That's absurd on your part. You would object to :

"Blessed is the one." NIV

"Blessed are all those." NLT

"Happy is the one." CEB

"The people who do this will be blessed." NET Bible

Are those examples of subversion? Come on. You have a very low threshold for what you believe is a weakening of Bible translation. You really need to find something more substantial than that.