1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Prepared prayers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's not about a prayer being "pre written". It's about what comes from the heart. I have prayed the Psalms to God many times. Just because I didn't write it doesn't mean I didn't mean it.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And now that man is scarred for life! :laugh:

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Call it what it is. It's called contemplative prayer. Rather like making out a landry list.
    MB

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thank you. I've made a copy to slip into my Bible.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Have you ever read Nu 6:22-27? Have you ever heard of the Lord's Prayer? What does any of that have to do with the Catholic Church and rosary beads?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is where I am at with it.
    There is no scripture on it one way or the other per sey, and yet there is the Psalms which some use or the proverbs which I have used in private. However for me I am uncomfortable with just standing and reading one thta I have made up prior as I feel it can take from the spirit of the prayer, at least for me. I am also afraid I would try and make the prayer more pious than my heart is spiritual so as to be seen as spiritual to others. I have enough trouble with that in just spur of the moment praying in public without adding more temptation. While I would not totally rule it out as there may be some rare ocassions that I might do it, I personally would be hard pressed to do it as I prefer to just let it flow at the moment in hopes my faith and heart are in agreement to what my lips are saying

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It seems from observation that most prayers to end a service end up being a summary of the sermon. Prayers at the offering time ask God to continue blessing us, the church, and thanking Him for what He has given us. Prayers on Wednesday night usually revolve around a prayer list of sick people. While these are not word for word prepared prayers, the outline is already there.

I have heard very few prayers that come from the heart unrelated to the occasion.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

OK. but I have never been able to tell if a prayer of another is from the heart. Perhaps that is a special gift. I only know where I am at with it.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You are welcome. It is surely a very moving prayer and says a lot in a few words.

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prepared prayers seem a bit liturgical--perhaps a bit hypocritical--i.e. stagelike. Many public prayers probably do not make it past the ceiling.

Many folk think they are holy by their much praying--and their broad phylacteries. There are two kinds of prayer: that of the Pharisee and that of the sinner.

The biggest thing that hinders prayer: we do not forgive our debtors. All the prayers in the
    world, canned or otherwise, are useless without forgiveness on our part of those who have wronged us.

Jesus prayed at His crucifixion: "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do."

Peace,

Bro. James

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

AMEN to that.

In a few words you have gotten to the heart of this topic. Whether written beforehand or off the cuff every prayer is going to be one or the other.

While sometimes we can't discern the difference in the prayers of others, with the Holy Spirit guiding us, we can discern the difference within ourselves. Regardless of the method of communication with God that we choose to use.

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the subject of prayer--this is kind of related: What does "In Thy Name" mean at the end of some public prayers?

Peace,

Bro. James

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here is a morning prayer from The Valley of Vision Puritan Prayers. I think it is a wonderful way to start the day.

O God, the Author of all good,
    I come to thee for the grace another day will require for it's duties and events.

I step out into a wicked world, I carry about with me an evil heart, i know that without thee I can do nothing, that everything with which I shall be concerned, however harmless in itself, may prove an occasion of sin or folly, unless I am kept by thy power.

Hold thou me up and I shall be safe. Preserve my understanding from subtilty of error, my affections from love of idols, my character from stain of vice, my profession from every form of evil.

May I engage in nothing in which I cannot implore thy blessing, and in which I cannot invite thy inspection.

Prosper me in all lawful undertakings, or prepare me for disappointments; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me, lest I be full and deny thee and say, Who is the Lord? or be poor, and steal, and take thy name in vain.

May every creature be made good to me by prayer and thy will.

Teach me how to use the world, and not abuse it, to improve my talents, to redeem my time, to walk in wisdom toward those without, and in kindness to those within, to do good to all men, and especially to my fellow Christians.

And to thee be the glory.