1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterial or Congregational?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Nehemiah Coxe's A Sermon Preached at the Ordination of an Elder and Deacons in a Baptized Congregation in London (1681):

Or how about Baptist Pastor Benjamin Keach, prominent signer of the 1689 LBC?

From his book Tropologia (1682):

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting:thumbs:

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I grew up in a Presbyterian Church (PCA) and have no use for elder rule. Elder rule has a way of turning into Elder worship. I find that Elders are no more spiritually wise than deacons in a Baptist church. Elders were often elected because of their position is society, and not their spiritual maturity. Usually elder rule implies a hierarchy. A presbytery has a say in who is called as pastor, ownership of the church building, the Constitution and bylaws, and other internal local church matters. No thanks. Now, in a local church that is autonomous, if that church wants to entrust a group of men to govern them, then that is their business. Sometimes elders decide who will and will not be accepted as members, vote on financial matters, etc. Congregational votes are very limited. All I would say is, if you are going to an elder form of government, be very careful about who you elect.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the key and why Scripture gave specific qualities required to be an elder.