1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preservation Test

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by skanwmatos, Apr 30, 2004.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Preservation of the scriptures seems to be a major topic here, and also seems to be badly misunderstood by some of the posters, so, let's take a little test. Please answer each of these questions to the best of your ability, then, when sufficient answers have been posted I will post the answers and grade the tests. :D

Q1. Was there anything in the original manuscripts which is missing from the text today's bibles?

A1. Yes.
    A2. No.
    A3. We don't have the original manuscripts.

Q2. Is there anything in the text of today's bibles which was not in the original manuscripts?

A1. Yes.
    A2. No.
    A3. We don't have the original manuscripts.

Okay. Have at it. I am going for lunch and will look back in in about an hour. Don't be afraid to take the test. I won't embarrass anyone. [​IMG]

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

Okay, I'm answering A3 to both of the questions.

It is impossible to embarrass me.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

A3 on all. (This feels like a government test.) The best answer that fits. :D

I like this, I feel like I'm back in school again. (Even if I'm wrong.)

4. David J

David J New Member

A3 for all.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Okay. I lied. I am going to embarrass you. Well, actually not. You have embarrassed yourselves! :D

If you answered "no" to both questions, you believe in Providential Preservation (regardless of what the KJVOs might claim).

If you answered "yes" to both questions, you don't believe in Providential Preservation. (Those KJVOs were right about you!)

If you answered one question with a "no" and one with a "yes" you are just confused. [​IMG]

However, if you answered "we don't have the original manuscripts" you don't understand preservation! [​IMG]

The whole point of preservation is that we have the word of God today. Nothing added, nothing lacking. God preserved it for us in the huge repository of Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. [​IMG]

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Okay, okay, but if you look at the answer "the originals do not exist" by themselves, they are correct; however, you are right in that they do not match very well with the questions. But, in being accurate by themselves you tend to make the test taker confused, but that is your intention, no? -- trick questions -- naughty, naughty.

Like I said, you must write government tests.

:D

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I was going to say, #3 is not an answer to either question. "We don't have the original manuscripts" does not answer "Is anything missing" or "Is anything added." It is a completely different issue. It is like the two bears who were eating fish and the one bear says to the other, "Please pass the salt," and the second bear says, "What do you think I am ... a doghouse??" (In case you missed it, the second bear's answer is irrelevant and meaningless.) In this case, #3 on both question is irrelevant and meaningless to the question at hand. It is a statement of fact.

We believe by faith that God has preserved his word in the multitude of the manuscripts. Since we do not have the original manuscripts, we cannot give conclusive answers. We know by looking at the manuscripts cornucopia, that various manuscripts are "missing" or "have added" (depending on how you look at it). Depending on which manuscripts were extant at a particular time in history, it may appear that something in the original manuscripts was lost that later reappeared in a later find. It may also appear that something was added later since it was not in previously extant manuscripts.

This to me seem poorly worded. I do not believe that there is anything missing or anything added. Now, as to the question of "What exactly should be there?" that is a different matter, about which good men with strong views on preservation and inspiration may differ.

8. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Oh oh! I have been found out!

Yeah. It was a trick question test. I was hoping to snag some KJVOs whose mantra seems to be "we don't have the originals!? :D :D :D :D

9. russell55

russell55 New Member

Of course, it is my opinion that choosing correct but irrelevant answers instead of ones that might possibly be wrong is a good way to avoid embarrassment.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The question is loaded. We don't have the original manuscripts. We do, however, have source texts which date back significantly. You can buy them or order them at your local Christian bookstore, in their original language.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A4 on both.

We DO have the pope . . . :rolleyes:

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist