1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Bush - Out of Touch

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 29, 2008.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No question that warmer weather increases some driving, so increased demand will increase supply to offset demand issues. Yet, to say we're looking at 20% increases in price may be a bit high. We don't know what OPEC will do in terms of supply. We may see more supply that would alleviate the temporary spike. Remember that the spike was rather sudden, not the gradual increase normally seen in deliberate, normal fluctuations.

Back to the weather - most of the country has seen warmer temps this winter, so the price of gas has been largely unaffected by seasonal temperatures, at least in most regions according to what I've read. There are no longer intraweek price adjustments in the locales I visit and the one I live. The dynamics of pricing have changed over the last few years.

Back to your OP. I see bigger sins than not knowing the price of gas. I doubt Obama could quote the price of a loaf of bread. Senior citizens probably couldn't quote the price of diapers. I can't quote the cost of hearing aids. That doesn't make anyone less compassionate about the economy. This is not a pricing game on "The Price is Right." No one will get extra Plinko chips if they get it right (do they still play that game on TPIR)?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, Tom, I guess it is unreasonable to think that the president should care about one of the most important items in the average American's budget, especially since President Bush has proven that he cares only about being the president for the rich.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

The larger issues of demand are out of our control, TomVols.

The compassion is not really relevant - it's the action taken that counts.

can't...........stop.............LAUGHING!
    :laugh:
    Amazing that I haven't watched TPIR in a number of years, yet I had total recall on Plinko! Now I have that yodeling song for the mountain climber game in my head.

Thanks - great post!

Hope all is well,
    BiR

#23 Baptist in Richmond, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken, Ken, Ken....has Al Franken or Michael Moore stolen your ID? President for the rich? I don't know how electricity gets from the substation to my house, but I care about it. Same with the President and gas prices. I don't know if he cares or not. To say he doesn't is just as much of a fallcy as to say he absolutely does. We don't really know. As BiR states, action counts more than knowledge, but there's not much POTUS can do to change gas prices, milk prices, etc directly.

BiR: now I have that yodeling song in my head! :laugh:

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

When prices rise some people believe the government has all the answers to high demand and low supply. Perhaps, they'd prefer the government just nationalize the oil industry. That way they could purchase gasoline directly from the government at a "fair" price. Of course, in such a system, there'd have to be different "fair" prices depending upon ability to pay and there'd have to be quotas on how much one could purchase depending upon the defined needs. It wouldn't be long before the whole industry would choke in tremendous waste and people would be waiting in line with their ration cards. That's the answer they're asking for whether they realize it or not.

The alternative is to leave it alone and let the economic system that works best - capitalism - determine both the products and the prices. Oil company owners - including many small investors - are smart enough to know that maximum net profit isn't going to be had by charging maximum price to the point it cuts consumption. They will try to charge the maximum price the market can bear at the maximum supply that can be sold. They'll also try to make hay while the sun shines knowing that rain will surely come. That's what everyone desires to do in business. It's a great self regulating system.

If any product or service becomes too expensive someone else comes up with a better idea and a new industry is born to replace an obsolete one. High gasoline prices could in many respects be a good thing long term. It might force some changes more desirable for the long term.

Alternate energy forms are best invented and marketed by private capital desiring to make a product - not by government through politically motivated actions that prop up something that's not really feasible on its own merits. This includes wind power and ethanol as examples. The converse it the tremendous missed opportunity of nuclear power that was made impractical largely by government interference.

#25 Dragoon68, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The President is not responsible for the "Average American Budget". Nor should he be getting involved in costs n our economy.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Bush - Out of Touch

The inference being what???--- That Obama or Clinton ARE in touch???

C'mon, surely you don't believe that, do you Ken?

The same can be said for at least 95% of our elected overseers, so my question is, just what is the point of this thread??

(And no, for you link happy patrons, I don't have a link that gives the 95% figure, JMHO! OK?)

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good for him... That's all we need is more taxes. Gasoline was considered a luxury but now it seems to be more of a necessity so would be removed from the luxury tax concept.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect more of our president than ignorance as to what is happening in the country.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which has nothing to do with what I said in what you quoted.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More so than President Bush.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why does this thread remind me of "Hall and Oates?"

[​IMG]

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Any evidence?