1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Gerald Ford has died.

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by El_Guero, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

President Gerald Ford has died.

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Wow! I just saw this on the MSNBC website. I immediately turned it to CNN and am watching the coverage now.

At 93 years of age he was the oldest living president.

Timeline of his life http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9410764/

#2 FBCPastorsWife, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    May God comfort President Ford's family and friends, and our entire nation during this time of loss. :tear:

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

**Double**

#5 EdSutton, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whether or not one agrees with everything politically in a particular President, we have only had 42 individuals under the Constitution to hold that office.

I submit that in the 45 or so years that I can realistically remember about or Presidents, the occupants of the Oval Office during the six year period from 1974- 1980, were the two best individuals, as to personal integrity, to hold that vaunted office, that I remember. We are all a bit poorer, today, in the passing of President Ford, the oldest President in our nation's history.

Ed

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Whether I agree with all of his politics or not, in retrospect I think he was the man for the job in a difficult time.

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the privilige of meeting President Ford several years ago.

While in Grand Rapids, MI on business, I visited the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library. While I was viewing the replica of President Ford's Oval Office, in walks...President Ford with his Secret Service Guards. We shook hands, and exchanged small talk for awhile. Mr. President very kindly signed a picture of himself that I had purchased in the museum gift-shop.

President Ford was down to earth, polite, and extremely interesting. If you had met him on the street,and didn't know who he was you would never guess that he had been a President of the United States.

We have lost an honest man, a statesman, and a fine Christian gentleman. Truly a rarity in the dog-eat-dog world of National Politics.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God bless his family. :tear:

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A very fine man, indeed. God be with his family. Leaders like that are indeed rare as of late.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sad to hear. I pray God's blessings on his family.

12. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

As I remember at the time the President Ford was serving out his assigned term not much was said against him other than he did pardon Richard Nixon, even at that I think that decision was a wise choice. The Press did have a Heyday every time President Ford had a clumsy moment when he would trip or fall but I am sure that President Ford made it into to Heaven without incident but with grace.

Welcome Home Mr. President.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

He carried the title of "elder statesman" so very well...as well as any former president I recall of recent years.

No doubt, his integrity and authenticity carried our country through difficult days.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my lifetime, I think the 2 presidents of highest personal/moral integrity were Ford and his successor, Carter. This supports the notion of political irony, as neither were what would be called "successful--" they had more than a third of their own party against them most of the time, had failed appointments and vetoes overridden, and were not (re)elected as incumbents. So many voters say high morals and intergrity are 'important' in choosing who to elect, but the least blemished in that way cannot keep office.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ford was lambasted for pardoning Nixon. Many of his detractors later said that the pardon allowed the country to "move on" and heal.

Don't know how I feel about that...but Ford's integrity certainly helped our country during the late 1970's.

Let's endeavor to pray for his wife Betty. She spent a long time with Mr. Ford. May God smile upon her during her final days.

I've never heard much talk one way or the other about the faith of Gerald Ford. Was he a Christian, as far as any of you all know?

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

President Ford was a professing Christian and an active, attending member of the Episcopal church. One of his sons, an Episcopalian minister, administered his last rites.

I know there are some here who question any salvation experience that didn't occur under their own doctrinal presuppositions, but my Bible tells me that salvation comes as a result of confession of Jesus Christ as Lord. President Ford, according to his own testimony, professed belief in Christ as savior. He's in heaven today.

He's probably the only person to become President who didn't seek the office. I'm glad he was there, he was exactly what was needed for those two years, no more, no less.

I pray God's blessings on his family.

17. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In retrospect, the Nixon pardon was probably the right thing to do.

I hope he rests in peace, my prayers are with him and his family.

18. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Before his elevation to the presidency made local church involvement difficult, he was active in Emmanuel Church on the Hill, an Episcopal congregation in Alexandria, VA, adjacent to Virginia Theological Seminary. I noticed that the statement from his family mentioned prominently his "love for God."

My sarcastic side suggests that it would be difficult for anybody from Grand Rapids NOT to be a Christian of the Dutch Reformed stripe!

19. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Gerald Ford is in Heaven experiencing everlasting joy. :godisgood:

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Glad to hear of President's Ford's faith in God.
    So you CAN be a Christian and a Michigan fan...

:smilewinkgrin:

Ow!:tonofbricks:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.