1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Jan 2009?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Mar 22, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This thread is not who you are supporting for President, but rather, who do you think will be elected and why?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barack Obama

1) He's a Democrat.

2) He's not Hillary Clinton.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Jonathan Edwards. He'll get the nomination after Hillary and Obama destroy each other. Meanwhile, the republicans will either try to redifine themselves toward Guliani and lose their base or put fort a weak candidate that spends most of his time apologizing for Bush while trying to cling to bush policies.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lagardo, he'd be my second guess.

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Presently, I think it could be President Obama, but the election is a long way off. I will just be happy if it is a Democrat that wins the 08 election!

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Why is that not surprising?

If Giuliani wins the GOP nod, he will be President.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Jan 2009?

Who is it named Jan that's running?

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Jonathan Edwards? Preaching about "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", no doubt?

Pardon my teasing ... I know you mean John Edwards. I was a bit surprised at today's announcement that despite the resurgence of his wife's cancer, he was continuing. Not saying it's wrong ... just surprising.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's John Edwards, the former major league catcher with a few historic notations to his name. He caught for Cincinnati in the 60's and, though good but not great, he was the veteran displaced by a new kid with extraordinary ability named Johnny Bench. Then in '69 he handled a staff of young fireballers at Houston who set the major league record for strikeouts, while he himself set the record for putouts. He would be in the Hall of Fame if he could have hit pitching as well as he could handle pitchers.

10. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

My apologies...I actually meant the "crossing over" guy. After all...he can talk to dead people and he can read your mind pretty darn accurate on the fourth try. :thumbs:

Anyway, I was seeing someone and the name started with an...G? H? B? is it Bill? No, no, J. that's it J. It's Javier, no, Joe, no Jon...no wait...

11. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Whoever promises the most free stuff will be president.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Very likely! Promise what will best "tickle the ears" of 51% of the most likely voters.

Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

We, the people, as a whole, over two centuries plus, have now improved :rolleyes: on that request, a bit.

Today we say, "Give me!, Gimme!, Gimme!, Don't worry about them! Let them pay for it and- Give me what ever it is that I want!"

Ed

P.S. "Do whatever it takes; Sock it to "the rich"!!; Just as long as you don't raise my taxes!!"

#12 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Didn't he (the 'baseballer catcher') go by Johnny Edwards? Or is my memory failing on this one? Another great "handler of pitchers", who should have had a decent chance at, but never came close to, the HOF, is Bob Boone.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he's usually listed as Johnny Edwards, as in baseball-reference.com. I think of him as John because it was during his years at Houston that I listened to their games, and Gene Elston and the other announcers usually called him by John. Another interesting fact is that he is #6 among catchers in career fielding average. He would be in the HoF if he had been much of a hitter. His successor at Cincinnati, HoF'er Johnny Bench, is #11, but of course he was a more productive hitter.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Because of the ridiculous money needed, and the front-loaded primaries (especially now that the People's Republic of California is early), this thing will be decided in only a few months...

Republican primary: Guliani over Romney et al.
    Democratic primary: Hillary's money and "husband" wear down Obama. His lack of experience in this campaign setting IMO will at some point hurt him. The key is the black vote. The more split it is, the better that bodes for Hillary. I think Hillary squeaks by in a tense, bloody campaign.

General election: Guliani vs. Clinton

Result: Clinton in a squeaker, with record low turnout. (Clinton's move to the "right" to nab moderates will alienate her far left folk; Her personality won't help her much; However, Guliani's personal life and moderate/liberal stances on social issues will cause conservatives to stay home in droves. He'll be hurt more than she will. I think that the only reason it's even close is there will be quite a few "anybody but hillary" voters, and the fact that she'll be bloodier from the primary than Rudy.

Maybe I'll be wrong...I'm not ready to use "president" and "hillary" in the same sentence. Maybe it's because I don't get to use "Hillary" and "freedom" in the same sentence much.