1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presidential Debate Comments

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I guess you're a Romney supporter. It's kinda obvious by your "he can do no wrong" attitude even when it's obvious he didn't help himself by agreeing with the President's policies every other minute.

He did nothing to distinguish himself. And that split screen made him look old and oily sick whereas President Obama's screen had him looking a whole lot less oily or sick and relaxed.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to take off your Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck/Drudge glasses and watch the debate again. Romney agreed with Obama on going into Libya, on taking out Osama, on standing with Israel, on the need for Mubarak to leave Egypt, on sanctions on Syria, on using drones to kill terrorists, on saving GM and Chrysler, on sanctions on Iran, on cracking down on China's trade policies, on the need for educating Muslims and breaking down their gender discrimination on women, etc. Most of Romney's disagreements were along the line of "we should have done this earlier" or "this action didn't go far enough" or "we can't kill our way out of the problem".

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to go back and watch the debate again. It is not factual to say that Romney only differed on a "few" things.

#83 Revmitchell, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes thank you for continuing to prove my point.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It was kinda weird. And he's supposed to be the conservative candidate distinguishing himself from the one who has made all the administratively bad decisions.

I just don't think he did himself any favors with all the "The President was right...I agree with what the President did". He made the President look like a President.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And thank you for continuing to prove mine. i hope a lot of other folks are careful that their bitterness doesn't become hate that blinds to the truth.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must be talking about you and Romney because we all know how much you hate him.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Liberal creep is much like mission creep. It morphs from bitterness into claiming that everybody hates what the other person likes.

But if it worked for the homosexuals, the Romneyites might as well try it.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On foreign policy Romney disagreed with Obama on:

1. The need to arm the Syrian rebels
    2. Tightening the sanctions on Iran by
    a.) not allowing Iran oil tankers to enter our ports
    b.) ostracize Iranian diplomats
    c.) indict Ahmadinejad under the U.N. Genocide Convention

Please list the other areas where Romney disagreed with Obama on foreign policy.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was more than just Foreign policy debated.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In the debate Romney looked and acted more like the president while Obammy was rude, pugnacious, condescending, and in all other respects an burro!

The one thing I would have liked to see was Romney take Obammy to task over his lies concerning Libya but I am not the candidate.

The economy is the primary issue in this election. Obammy has no program but 4 more years of the same slide into oblivion.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old news. This was supposed to be a foreign policy debate.

Please list the other areas where Romney disagreed with Obama on foreign policy.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old news or not it was debated and it matters.

Rich increase in taxes
    Federal subsidies for auto bailout
    Leaving troops in Iraq
    Increasing the military
    Apologizing for America around the world
    Russia being a threat
    Iran being the number one threat
    Using the word terrorism
    Helping the Muslim word through education and economic imporvement
    Naming jihadists
    The sequester issue
    The change of attitude around the world toward America
    Behngazi
    Oil and green energy
    Outsourcing jobs
    Israel

#93 Revmitchell, Oct 23, 2012
  14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took the domestic issues out of your list and also removed past items or other items that do not address policy issues.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My list is correct. You have narrowed the perimeters since I first disagreed with you. Romney disagreed with far more than your original list as I have factually shown.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, how did they disagree on Benghazi in last night's debate? It was mentioned once, when Obama said there were thousands of citizens affirming they loved the United States and then it was forgotten.

How did they disagree about Russia being a threat? Obama tried to say that Romney thought Russia was the number one geopolitical threat and Romney had no rebuttal.

How about helping the Muslim world through education and economic improvements? Both said that was a proper strategy to tone down the negative attitudes toward the U.S.

How about the sequester (automatic spending cuts) issue? Romney thinks it might happen and Obama says it won't. That's not a strategic disagreement.

The Apology Tour--Romney: "You went on an apology tour." Obama: "No, I didn't." That's a substantive disagreement?

Really, how did they differ on these points?

#96 InTheLight, Oct 23, 2012
  17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

They didn't. That's why I say Romney made the President look Presidential. If you're aspiring to unseat an incumbent President, it's not a good thing to make him look more Presidential before a national audience and the two of you on a split screen.

He basically told a lot of folks, who only remember the last debate or the last whatever, that he wouldn't do much different than what the President is doing. And that's the sort of byline that will be pushed.

Imagine a tagline that says" Romney agrees with President. Wouldn't do anything Differently".

That can be twisted so many ways and some folks will believe that applies to a lot more than just foreign policy".

Just a bad Romney night. Nothing spectacular by the President. But Romney didn't help himself.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok go back and look at your words again. Once again you are moving the goal post. "substantive disagreement" or "strategic disagreement". You originally made a general statement. I responded to that.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The President looks presidential because HE IS THE PRESIDENT. Romney can't help him out in that regard.

That's kind of a function of America's foreign policy goals being somewhat consistent no matter who's in office. The State Department strategy outlives the President.

I think Romney helped himself because he was able to hold a coherent conversation with the President of the United States on foreign affairs. Because of this Romney looked presidential. Undecideds might come away with the impression that Romney can handle foreign affairs just as well as Obama and maybe they should vote for him.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Are you saying Romney said, "there were not 1,000's of people supporting the U.S. in Benghazi?"

Alright, I'll rephrase:

The Apology Tour--Romney: "You went on an apology tour." Obama: "No, I didn't." "Did too!" "Did not!" "Did too!" "Did not!"

That's a foreign policy disagreement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.