1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presidential Fearmongering

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Actually, it seems that the public is seeing through the Democratic plan. From what I have read, public support is falling. The reality is that Obama's plan does not create a lot of jobs, particularly in the short term. And the jobs it creates are government jobs that are not profit producing jobs.

I am not sure what the plan is, but a 15K tax break is a great idea. It gets the housing market moving again. And it is simple to limit the break to people who own one home, thus preventing real estate investors.

On this LeBuick, you simply didn't think before your gut reaction of blame the GOP kicked in. That was unfortunate. A little more thought would no doubt have prevented you from saying what you said. It simply doesn't make sense.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Whether true, as you believe, or false, as I believe, it has no real relevance to the discussion at hand. What Obama is doing is either right or wrong in on its own. I say it's completely wrong. He's playing on people's fears of the worse - their insecurity - to rush the passing of legislation that actually won't help most them but will build a huge empire for a lot of politicians and bureaucrats and will benefit a few free loaders who live off the wages the rest of us earn.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

".....He's playing on people's fears of the worse - their insecurity...."

That is exactly what Bush did, so how is it different now? It's not right, no matter who does it, but we didn't see the people that are complaining now complain when Bush did it.. Double Standard maybe?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fear mongering is creating fears out of false claims. Bushes claims were very real. Obama's are unknown and not likely.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not sure what part of the plan you are referring to, but there a plenty of economist who says there are lots of public sector jobs in his plan. Yes, the Dems added fat and waste but the plan itself does have jobs. He is also giving the middle class a sizable tax cut. From what I can see and hear, it is not a bad plan.

What good will a $15K tax break do when the banks aren't giving out loans? If you can't buy a house, you can't get the tax break. It's as good as offering a man with no legs a great discount on boots. I agree with limiting the break to one home however, that is not how the GOP put it out there. I don't think that was their intentions. Sounds like they want real estate investors to buy up the houses as the means to correcting the market.

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Ok, I will agree with that definition.

Not all of them, he has even admitted that some of the things he 'warned' us about where not true. Knowing or unknowingly, that is a different topic.

If they are unknown then how can we claim them to be false? What ever happened to the general stance of giving the POTUS the benefit of the doubt in these matters? Like we did for Bush?

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If Obama's claims are false, why are we loosing half million jobs per month? If Obama's claims are false, why won't the banks lend money and why has everyone lost their 401K? If Obama's claims are false, why is the GOP trying so desperately to pass their own proposal with 100% tax cuts for the wealthy?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

Who gave Bush the benefit of the doubt about what?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That doesn't amount to congress passing a bill in a hurry without looking at it and carefully considering and debating it. It doesnt amount to playing like Obama is being bipartisan only to push for an immediate and sloppy bill full od spending and little simulus.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are getting your information on this one. I've been considering refinancing my mortgage. As such, I utilized an internet site that submits your loan application to several different banks and lenders. I've had people calling and falling all over themselves to lend me the money.

11. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of what our economic state is, I hope this bill doesn't pass. They need to eliminate the wasteful government spending that is in that package. If they could eliminate that, then I would be happy to support it.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Most seem to be saying that there aren't that many jobs, particularly in the short term. Very little of this money will be spent this year, and very little next year. Furthermore, they are public sector jobs. They are not revenue producing jobs. That is not a gain for the economy. Public sector jobs are necessary for some things, but they are not a way to grow the economy.

Banks are giving loans to qualified people. And $15K is a big tax break. Like every other tax break, it won't apply to everyone. But other than the fact that Republicans came up with, you don't seem to have any actual objections. If the banks aren't loaning money, then it is a non-issue anyway. But if I were buying I house, this would certainly make it more attractive.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was wrong, the report is out. 598K jobs lost in January. Yes, we should carefully consider and debate but the ship is sinking, at one point if we don't stop debating and start bailing it will sink. It's not like this is the last piece of legislation Congress will ever pass...

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not sure how things are in your area, I have a friend with a 789 credit score and he was turned down. There is also the national outcry about banks receiving TARP funds and still not lending. If you are fortunate enough to be one of the chosen few who this economy will lend a dollar, consider yourself lucky and not an example of the current trend.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    umm...Pelosi and Obama tried to shove this anti-stimulus package through without debate and has worked ever since to shut down all debate. We have time to do it right.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If you add up all the so call wasteful spending the GOP can find in this package, it comes to less than 1% of the entire bill. This says to me the package could be 99.5% great for the nation and the economy but some would fold their arms and refuse to sign because of .5% waste. I believe at a time we have to take the good with the bad.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Says who?....................

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can you link me to a bipartisan source that says this? From what I can see, building bridges and weatherizing government buildings is revenue producing and if they couple that with incentives for big business to do likewise ten I think it's a long term (but not permanent) solution.

Not sure about your area, but banks are not lending around here. Houses are sitting empty with reductions signs by the thousands. No one is able to by except for a few investors who are getting super deals.

It has nothing to do with the $15K being a GOP suggestion, a $15K tax break is not stimulus to the economy and surely not the stimulus that will stop the current bleeding.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not true at all, Obama has invited the Republican's to his office to get their suggestions and he met with them at the capitol. Invited them over for cocktails and to watch te super bowl. What they are shutting down is unproductive debate.

There is a difference between productive debate and stalling because you didn't get your way. The GOP has made their suggestion of 100% tax cuts, the liberals said no. The people said no when we voted in the libs because tax cuts vs. spending was the foundation of the ballot. What more is there to debate.

One suggestion, if the GOP would learn to compromise they would see more of their idea's in this bill. The nerve of them, the minority party and they show up with their own bill and say either you accept our bill or you won't get one of our votes. They couldn't have been serious but if they are, that is what we are voting out of Washington. Stupidity..

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You can add it up yourself, every piece of wasteful spending the GOP has named has been in the millions. Together they don't add to a billion. The plan is billions and they are talking about millions in waste. You do the math.