1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presidential Thanksgiving Day Proclamations From George Washington to Barack Obama

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by annsni, Nov 26, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Wow, a historical genius, maybe you should apply to go on Jeopardy. History is one of five subjects I am now teaching every day. If you would like, we could take pictures of our degrees and compare them here on the board.

No, I have no desire for you to go to Afghanistan. That time has long past in your case, the if you were interested in serving, you would have done so at the appropriate time in your life.

What you have done in effect with your post is put Washington's address on par with the Obama one. If you cannot see the difference, then you need to have your glasses changed. The purpose of the thread was to show how the moral bearing of our leadership has changed over the years. It was not a thesis on Baptist theology.

If I want to make him a patron saint, I would join another denomination. By the way, who is GW? Is that George Washington or George W Bush? Another thing before I close, just asking a favor. Since you are all wrapped up in history, you are aware that in recent life times, Texas has sent two people to the White House, Lyndon B Johnson and George W Bush. Do us all a favor and don't send another.

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a deal:tongue3:

Also, I am aware of the thrust of the original post. My point in calling Washington GW was not only out of convenience, but to point out parallels between two godtalkers.

BTW I also served in the USAF, in the lonely outpost of Nodak.

#22 asterisktom, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I assume that is somewhere in North Dakota. It sounds almost like one of the more remote Alaskan islands. I have no idea how long you were there, but it must have gotten very cold.

It is funny you responded to my post, because I was actually referring to another poster. But since you did respond, I do not think Ann ever meant to claim that all of our fore fathers acknowledged Christ as we do in a local church at a worship service. I think she was pointing out the gap between a respect for God at the start of our history to where we have come today.

Yes, many of the stories about George Washingotn are myths, but there are speeches in which he mentions Jesus Christ. Here is one:

And yet, on June 12, 1779, to the Delaware Indian Chiefs, Washington declared:

You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. Congress will do every thing they can to assist you in this wise intention

There are many articles around that note the lack of Washington using the name Jesus Christ in most of his writings and speeches. Was he saved by faith in Jesus Christ? I do not know, but then again, I can only speculate about anyone really, since we can see no ones heart, only observe actions.

Here is a quote from John Adams:

And though basically a Unitarian, John Adams in 1816 stated that "Jesus is Benevolence personified, an example for all men." He wrote in his diary in 1756, "Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the bible as their only law-book ... what a Utopia; what a paradise would this region be!" In 1813, to Jefferson, he wrote that the general principles of Christianity were "the only principles in which the Fathers who achieved independence could unite."

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/xp-16976

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Off topic to the subject of this thread but pertaining to one of the historical characters so mentioned:

Does anyone know the proof or the documentation that the following was a prayer penned by Geroge Washington at the age of 20?
    George Washingtons Prayer

"Almighty God, and most merciful father, who didst command the children of Israel to offer a daily sacrifice to thee, that thereby they might glorify and praise thee for thy protection both night and day, receive, O Lord, my morning sacrifice which I now offer up to thee; I yield thee humble and hearty thanks that thou has preserved me from the danger of the night past, and brought me to the light of the day, and the comforts thereof, a day which is consecrated to thine own service and for thine own honor. Let my heart, therefore, Gracious God, be so affected with the glory and majesty of it, that I may not do mine own works, but wait on thee, and discharge those weighty duties thou requirest of me, and since thou art a God of pure eyes, and wilt be sanctified in all who draw near unto thee, who doest not regard the sacrifice of fools, nor hear sinners who tread in thy courts, pardon, I beseech thee, my sins, remove them from thy presence, as far as the east is from the west, and accept of me for the merits of thy son Jesus Christ, that when I come into thy temple, and compass thine altar, my prayers may come before thee as incense; and as thou wouldst hear me calling upon thee in my prayers, so give me grace to hear thee calling on me in thy word, that it may be wisdom, righteousness, reconciliation and peace to the saving of the soul in the day of the Lord Jesus. Grant that I may hear it with reverence, receive it with meekness, mingle it with faith, and that it may accomplish in me, Gracious God, the good work for which thou has sent it. Bless my family, kindred, friends and country, be our God & guide this day and for ever for his sake, who lay down in the Grave and arose again for us, Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen."

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The prayer you're referring to is from an unfinished book of copied Christian prayers. It was attributed to him by a collector around 1891, but was rejected by the Smithsonian for lack of authenticity. In actuality, the book is a manuscript contining prayers copied from an Episcopal Prayer brook printed during the reign of King James I. The penmanship is not Washington's. There are numerous other discrepancies that dismiss it as being Washington's. For example, every word is spelled perfectly, as opposed to the writings of Washington, who was a notoriously bad speller.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Those last two posts were very interesting. Thanks for posting.