1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preterism remains false - Did Jesus lie? NO!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were YOU there during the creation?

There are time gaps in other prophecies. For example, in the oft-discussed Daniel 9:26, there's a gap from the time Jesus was "cut off" til the Romans trashed J & the temple.

2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

I don't see a gap - I see a period of time after the 69th week. Messiah will be cut off - not for himself but to effect the purposes determined in verse 24.
    A further result of that will be the destruction of city & sanctuary, an unspecified time after the 69th week.
    Messiah was cut off after week 69, during week 70.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

In v. 27 we are within the 70th week when he - Messiah - confirms the covenant with all who received him. And by his death, the New Covenant was established in his blood. For covenant purposes, sacrifice & oblation ceased with the rending of the veil.
    For the remainder of the week the covenant, now the New Covenant, was confirmed by the preaching of the Gospel by the Apostles.
    The week ended when the unbelieving Jews were declared uncircumcised by Stephen, by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 7:51)
    That was followed by the opening of the Gospel to uncircumcised Gentiles.
    All that remained was the destruction.

And if you think there was a gap, a non-fulfilment in the prophesied time, Peter answers you as he answered the scoffers in 2 Peter 3. He's longsuffering - his Gospel call is open -

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
    The AD 70 destruction came to destroy the scoffers of Peter's day. We can see that fulfilment as well as a final coming. Today's scoffers will not fare any better.

If there is ever what scoffers call "a gap" they should make good use of it & repent.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I partially agree, except I believe the final 3.5 years will cover the "man of sin's" rule & the great trib, which Jesus will cut short, followed immediately by a great cosmological disturbance, during which Jesus shall return.

A good possibility of the cause of the cosmo disturbance is the approach of another planet toward earth, which could also create most of the trib plagues. (Not cut in stone, of course, just an educated guess. ) remember, Luke said men would faint because of the things they see coming onto the earth. (Also, an approaching planet could cause the seas to "roar with perplexity" as it would alter the tides.)

But if that's the case, the planets won't collide, as either Jesus will repel the rogue planet with His power, or their magnetic fields will repel them apart, all by God's design. Again, I AM JUST GUESSING, but this IS a possible scenario God may use so the beast will have an excuse to blame it all upon "bad luck" insteada recognizing GOD caused it.

But I'm digressing. We see the prophecies are being LITERALLY fulfilled right down the line. The "falling away" is LITERALLY occurring, as are the coming of more scoffers than ever before, with cults, sects, & false doctrines proliferating. The stage is being set for the man of sin to come to power.

4. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for that more constructive answer. I won't comment on your 'planets' guess.

You can of course have a 3 1/2 year (little season?) prophecy around the time of Jesus' return, but there is no need to 'disrupt' the 70 weeks prophecy which was completely fulfilled. There are other prophecies people invoke for the 'end times' as you indicate in your final paragraph.

I suggested you & others contribute to this thread. "The Reformers & their Stepchildren." Your final paragraph here would find a specific direction as we consider what happened 500 years ago is still happening today. No need to read the book - though you would find it fascinating - as the 'farewell sermon' I linked in the thread was based on it & of course relevant Scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  5. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This can't be serious

6. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In your opinion.

The 1000 years of papal rule in the middle ages was not worse? Where was the true church during this time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Subjugated by the RCs, Orthodox, Muslims, Mongol hordes .... but maintaining a witness.

The trouble is, history is always written by those in power, not by those who serve the Truth. The Trail of Blood is dismissed as fake news ...

8. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Im not sure about that book,

I know many members of the Southern Baptist Convention (which is the only baptist church around these parts I would attend) in the US dismisses it as pure fiction, and recommends many other books on the history of baptists.

9. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did mean, that robycop3 said the falling away is happening now, But I believe it was much worse during the papal rule than now. At least I have a bible I can read in my own language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see - they dismiss it as fake news! Its 5 lectures, 37 pages & serves as a useful & readable intro to Gospel Christian history. The named groups may not be fully compliant with the SBC doctrinal basis - they only had Bible fragments & no colleges.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  12. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah I've seen but I have no clue. Im on a Southern Baptist FB page, and the members mostly bash it as landmarkish, with no supporting history.

Ive never even heard of it before this. So I am out of the loop. I was raised mennonite.

13. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    On another subject though I was surprised though, most of the members on there are Reformed Amillennialists. Taking a almost futurist POV with out the literal Millennium. Very few are Pre.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 4 PM Pacific.

15. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sort of review - Southern Baptist Convention > SBC Search

"Landmarkism arose in the nineteenth-century south as an answer to the rise of denominationalism and the Baptists. Hull summarized Landmarkism as having three distinctive emphases. First, successionism was the historical belief that the origin of Baptist churches can be traced back in a “continuous chain of true congregations” to the apostles in the New Testament. J. M. Carroll would popularize this succession in his pamphlet, The Trail of Blood. Whitsitt would come to believe that this position was completely untenable given the “facts” of history."​

That is ridiculous as Carroll argues that true, baptising Gospel churches have always been independent. The only continuous chain is the Gospel.

16. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the other trees?

No you got that wrong, read all three accounts again and start from the beginning instead of the end. Start reading Matthew , that is the beginning of the discussion.

It wasn't the fig tree that was the sign, it was the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem that was the sign. The Fig tree and all the trees were an example.

Matthew 24:32 ¶ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh

The parable of the fig tree (And all the trees, Luke) was that when you saw the fig tree putting fort its leaves than you will know that summer is on the way. No more and no less.

The sign that all these things would happen was the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem.

Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.;

OK as your English is a bit limited, let me try to make it plain. When you see plants springing into life in the spring than you know that summer is on the way, so when you see the armies surrounding Jerusalem, that is the abomination of desolation, then you know that the desolation of Jerusalem would be soon, so leave the city and flee to the hills.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TITUS of course. His people, his troops destroyed the temple, not him, he tried to save it but his troops disobeyed his orders and set the temple on fire. That is the LITERAL understanding. See Josephus for the complete tragic story and its LITERAL FULFILLMENT

19. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Would your rogue planet be planet X, which no one has seen but will collide with the earth? The falling away from the faith began in the first century and came to its full extent with the Papal Antichrist.

I agree with you, there have been many cults and heresies in recent years and futurism is one of the worst, and because since it denies that the Pope is Antichrist, it has allowed Catholicism to grow rapidly. If we had all kept to the traditional teaching of the non catholic church, that would never have happened, and churches together would not exist.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.