1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Pride of Man"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Nov 19, 2020.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been watching "The Andy Griffith Show", which I also watched when I was a child in the 1960s. Watched the episode early in season 7 which is about a barbershop quartet competition. The guest star was Hamilton Camp, who sang on the episode. So I read some about him as I wondered if he was a professional singer. He was.

The other item is that recently on my Pandora "60s Folk Radio" channel I heard a song called "Pride of Man" performed by Gordon Lightfoot. Lo, and behold, Hamilton Camp wrote this song in 1964. I like the song. It uses apocalyptic imagery from the book of Revelation. Below are three versions - by Hamilton Camp, Gordon Lightfoot, and bluegrass guitarist Tony Rice. Personally, my favorite of the three versions is the one by Gordon Lightfoot, great guitar strumming. They all have great guitar playing but I think Gordon Lightfoot brings more energy to it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I always thought they wrote it:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many can become invested in our status quo, unwilling to challenge, but just going with the flow. Hard to turn around when turning results in persecution. But then that is the gospel we are share in....
    Thanks, I enjoyed the tune.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I should not have put this video up here and listened to it.
    All day the tune has been in my mind.
    No peace for the wicked (that is me).