1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

priest, pastor, or preacher?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Jan 18, 2012.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just looked at a Sword of the Lord and over half the articles are written by someone with no title in front of their name. The most I saw was someone's name prefixed by Dr. In 2 or 3 cases, it was simply a name followed by "Pastor of XXXX Church".

Is it possible that perhaps what I communicated to "Dr". Shelton finally sank in? That he finally reasoned with my constructive criticism?

You know, I suppose that I possess a Doctorate's Degree in Hard Knocks..., being a veteran of the Vietnam Era and now 66 years old but my name will never reflect, "Dr. HA Melton, HK."

I think it's a fine thing if someone has had the ability to rise to the level of attaining a Doctorate Degree. Or that of a PHD. Where my rub comes in is that if he can't relate to Widow Smith existing on $650 dollars a month from Social Security who wears Salvation Army clothes..., then what's the point?

Pastor's, no matter their educational levels are to be Sheppard's. Jesus knew it all from the foundation of the world yet, he was but a Sheppard.

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

priest, pastor, or preacher?

What does the bible say about these positions?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

When did you contact them? I'll examine a paper from before then.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I contacted them perhaps as far back as early as 2000, late 1990's. I don't remember.

Specifically though I used to subscribe to their publication but allowed it to expire. I had a hard time reading sermon's. No fault of their's but rather, a defect in me I suppose.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Every state I've lived in (and England), Baptist ministers were always called Pastor. The one I have now isn't (yet) ordained but plans to be in the near future. Everyone (except me) calls him by his first name. My fear is that once he's ordained he might want to look for a larger church; ours is VERY small.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How those who signed the 1689 London Baptist Confession identified themselves:

"Pastor" 26 (70%)
    "Minister" 8 (22%)
    "Preacher" 1 (3%)
    "Elder" 0 (0%)
    "Bishop" 0 (0%)
    None 2 (5%)

source: Reformed Reader

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: