1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priesthood of the believer

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by atestring, Jan 22, 2005.

1. atestring

atestring New Member

How do some of you interpret the doctrine of the "Priesthood of the believer"?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I believe that I need no one to speak on my behalf with the Father aside from His Son.

I further believe that I am responsible to act in a manner reminiscent of the ancient priests; that is, I am to intercede on others' behalf, encourage others through the Gospel, and behave as Christ's hands and feet in this world.

With privilege comes responsibility. As a priest and king I am above no man; rather I serve as Christ served, in hopes that they may be encouraged to good works and through good works to faith in the One I serve.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
    16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

The Bible says plainly that we are priests, that we belong to a "royal priesthood," called out of God. The function of a priest is to come before God. In the Old Testament only the High Priest was able to enter into the most holy place and meet with God.
    Verse 16 of Hebrews 4 indicates that we can boldly right before the thrown of grace in prayer. That is a privilege in the O.T. reserved only for high priest.
    The priesthood of the believer does not mean that we have the power to forgive others sins such as the Catholic Church teaches. That is a heresy. It simply means that we have the privilege of going straight to God in prayer. Our mediator for going to God in prayer is Jesus Christ, for he reconciled us to God.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    DHK

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The priesthood of the believer is the idea that we can each go "boldly before the throne of grace" directly into God's presence.

It is the belief that the Holy Spirit of John 16 is sent to each believer to "Guide us into all truth".

It is the belief in the 1John 2 statement that the Holy Spirit annointing teaches us.

It is acceptance of the New Covenant fact of Heb 8 that God HIMSELF is our teacher.

This does not mean that we do not "listen to the Bible" or "listen to Paul" or that Christians do not submit to the leaders in the church as in Acts 15. ON the contrary we believe in both the direct access to God for the individual AND the gifts God places in the church to build up the body of Christ 1Cor 12.

Christianity is not a bunch of isolated islands of individual independance.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fact is - once you agree to the Bible principles for church order, church discipline, church leadership, spiritual gifts in the LOCAL body of believers - you have all the proof for structure needed to support and promote an Acts 15 organized worldwide church.

In Christ,

Bob

6. billwald

billwald New Member

"All animals (priests) are equal but some are more equal than others."