1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priesthood of the Believer

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, May 28, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am creating a subject index for the back issues of the Journal of European Baptist Studies and would like your opinion on the following quotation:

Vol. 1, Issue 1, p12

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It sounds like he is talking about what many call today as the Messiah Complex. The church pastor takes or the complex, thinking he is the one that keeps others from sinning and lays down the law for others to follow. His group will never do any thing unless they ask Him 1st. This includes even things such as buying a car and going on vacation.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Crabtownboy,

This is an example of church politics -- same as Paul described in 1Cor 1:12. The pastor does have the responsibility of a "shepherd" but only, like Moses, to lead where scripture takes him. When he goes beyond that to "make law" of the particular "doctines of men" -- as did apparently Cephas, Apollos, etc. -- these pastors err because the "Great Shepherd" is Christ, not man.

And we quite easily see this in the development of Christianity in the "traditions" of Catholicism, in the systematic theology of the Reformers, in extrabiblical writs such as The Book of Mormon, etal. The OT similarly saw the imposition of the Talmud on God's people. IMO, it is often man's effort to make God's kingdom (hence this "political" characterization of mine) more visible and relevant to daily life -- which it should be -- but in ways that are beyond the bounds of what scripture calls for. This puts it under the heading of "legalism" -- "You WILL practice your faith like this!" sorta thing.

skypair

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP, you are going to be called on these unwarranted throw-away lines of yours. ( And they indeed need to be thrown away!)

The so-called Systematic Theology of the Reformers should in no way be compared with the heresies of the RCC, The LDS etc. You would be a whole lot closer to biblical truth if you would have one tenth of the wisdom and knowledge of the Reformers.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon, Skypair is at it again. He failed miserably at trying to be subtle. Well, I'm invoking the figurative here.

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Perhaps that was a little harsh. But seeing as how there was politics in the churches they began in Geneva and Germany, I think you will see my point that in some ways the theology thought to govern the actions of their people.

skypair

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

In my view, we get into difficulty when a great deal of emphasis is placed on learned treatises and detailed theological positions. Jesus said:

Luk 18:15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when [his] disciples saw [it], they rebuked them.
    Luk 18:16 But Jesus called them [unto him], and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
    Luk 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

The gospel message is quite simple, simple enough for a child to understand.