1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Primitive Baptist Culture

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JRG39402, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Just a reminder to those that would assume I am bashing PBs. My rolemodel is a PB. I don't agree with their doctrine, but that doesn't mean I want to bash them. I love the Primitive Baptists and they love me. I was just asking if anyone believed that within the PB churches, there is a culture that seems to be exclusive.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You've been a victim of latent racism yet you defend this organization with no shame? This speaks a lot about your person I would think???

I guess that's one interpritation of turn the other cheek. That's like turning it with attitude!

I'm fairly confident it wasn't Black or Mixed. I think the point is a big deal was made when somebody stopped by a Church needing to use the restroom. I think that was enough said.

You admit to the Church having racism and then ask what the problem is? You go to a Church and no one welcomes you or shakes your hand and you ask what the problem is? You believe certian faces won't be in heaven and you ask what the problem is?

I am far from thin skinned but plainly the problem is this group is operating under the title "Church". All the world needs to find is one Church like this to counter all the witnessing done in the name of Jesus. What do you do for fund raisers, cage matches?

You didn't hear this from me but you guys will need a huge laundry facility to remove those spots and wrinkles??? Thank God for the blood of Jesus! :praying:

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I have been" which you said I said, and I may have been, which is what I said, are two different things, aren't they ? Secondly, which "organization" are you talking about ?

Like what ?

Really ! I wonder if you even understand the context of Matthew 5:39, no disrespect intended.
    If somebody injured me, or my person, physically or by insinuation, gossip, or the like, and at the moment of injury I was not able to defend myself, then I must not plot revenge against that person, but rather seek redress of my grievances thru the proper channels.
    However, when somebody takes a swing at me, right there and then, am I not to avoid that injury and defend myself in the manner which I know how ?
    Or are you saying I should take the blow, and give him the other side of my jaw, or perhaps my nose so he can bloody it ?
    Suppose an intruder entered your house with intent to harm you, would you simply allow that harm to happen, and give him your wife, your daughters, or your sister, or brothers, too ?
    Revenge is one thing. Defense is entirely another.
    Just like murder is one thing, and manslaughter entirely another.

You think. You suppose that somebody stopped by a church. You think that was enough said.

Therein lies the problem.

Here's what the poster said:

"I went to a church and after making fun of my SBC denomination, we had lunch. I black woman came in and asked to use the restroom."

If I know Primitive Baptist churches, the fellowship hall, where they have lunch, is not in the same area where they have service. The poster did not indicate if this woman was just somebody "passing by", or if she was in the congregation.

And therein lies the problem. The post is open to conjectures and speculations. Too many details missing.

Where is the admission I made about which church ? Your problem is that you accuse me of something I did not do. I said "I may have been", which does not in any way equal "I have been".

LeBuick, I don't know what your problem is with me, but, whatever it is, be truthful when you make accusations.

Well, do you know what the problem is ? Are you going to have a problem if you go to a church and no one even says hi to you ?

I don't go to a church so people would notice me and say, "oh, that's a new face. I'll welcome him and make him feel right at home, and make him feel the love of Christ". If they want to, that's fine. If they don't, I don't care either.
    I came to hear the songs, and possibly some good true gospel preaching. And we, my wife and I, don't stick around for the handshakes and the backpatting, and the hugs.
    We came, we sang, we listened.
    We are there for the fellowship of the Lord. If the saints there want to welcome us, so much the better. If not, there's no problem.

And again, before you make an accusation about me making a sweeping statement against all the churches here in WNY, I did not say all churches here were such. Some were. And I know it's the old race problem, because one can feel it.

However, there are good churches here that have welcomed us with warmth. One is just a mile or so down from where we live, with a good preaching pastor, songs are the old songs of Zion, and smiling, warm, sincere members.

And, oh, yeah, very Arminian.

We don't go there often, because we do want to hear the Doctrine of Grace preached.

Again, which "group". All the poster said were simply "innuendoes", allegations. Which PB church ? And even if he names the church, why should I accept it as "the fact". That's his side of the story. But there are always two sides to a story.
    I wouldn't go hastily judging any church because somebody said something derogatory about that church, never mind the qualifying statement like "I know that not all blanketyblank churches are like this", maybe you would.

Wow !! Such a powerful church then is the church that is able to counter all the witnessing done in the name of Jesus. Go home to Heaven, God the Holy Spirit. Go back home and recharge your batteries. 'cause here's this mean, evil, biased, racist, nameless Primitive Baptist church in this world you created able to undo all the witness of your apostles and your ministers.
    Go and cry in shame.

We don't do fund raising. We don't sponsor bingo games, or church lotteries, or ask our members for "commitments". We rely on the Owner of the Church for all her needs, if He desires for her to continue on in existence, and we have found that He never fails His bride in her needs.
    Oh, every now and then we get "in the red", but He always comes through for her.
    The church I pastored in Maryland, for example, was first organized in the 1700's, where the gospel of Grace has been preached for the last two hundred or so years, and Jesus Christ has never failed her in her needs.

You lost me here.

And I suppose this Scripture doesn't apply to "you guys" at all, eh ?

" And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (Matthew 7:3-5)

Amen ! :thumbsup: :thumbs:

#23 pinoybaptist, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, please calm down and temper your language.

There are enough matters of objective theology before us for discussion without getting into ad hominem arguments.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JRG39402:

If what you said really happened, then it could be the exception to the rule.

If you want to know PB culture, of which one definition (and I think the one appropriately applied to this question) given by dictionary.com is "The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization", then, no, this is not the predominating attitude and behavior among Primitive Baptists.

We may not agree with most of the doctrines and practices of other Baptist churches, true, but, those doctrines and practices are their businesses, not ours. Among ourselves we teach why we believe those doctrines and practices are unscriptural and in error.

Now, among the members there are those who may not act, or speak, in an appropriate manner concerning other churches, but these are, like I said and believe, not the predominant number among PB's.

Just like in this board, which is supposed to be a medium for an interchange of ideas and debate, some post in an inappropriate way. I have been guilty of these faults myself.

And the business of other churches is not the priority among us, since among ourselves we do have a lot to attend to already since even among ourselves, there are those whose doctrines and practices are being put into question.

Besides, in many PB churches, you will find either an entire family as members of the church, from generation to generation, or families with members belonging to different denominations.

Our former pastor, 101 going to 102, for example, is the only PB along with his deceased wife, in his own immediate family. His sons are members of other Baptist churches in Virginia and DC, yet they sometimes attend with us, or their father attends their churches.

One member even has a daughter who is JW !

We do not consider ourselves "exclusive" as in an exclusive club where everybody has to be dressed as we do, or belong to a certain kind of social strata.

Having other denominations for lunch is not our culture. Like I said, if we've a mind to, we've got a lot to chew on already among our own people to add something else to the menu.

#25 pinoybaptist, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  6. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

End thread

I told everyone that I was not here to bash PBs. If you still do not believe me. then here this. I am sick of the PB bashers on this thread that I started, and if a mod sees this, please colde it.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just One Seeming to be a PB Basher, so far...

So far, no one has bashed any PB in your thread.
    Bro. Reed is PB, Bartimaeus is not but from his words I gather he has no axe to grind against any PB, Robert K. Fall simply stated his own take on things, Brother Jeremy Slone said nothing detrimental or derogatory, Moderator Squire Robertson simply called for a little tenderness in words because of the exchange between LeBuick and myself.
    So, I do not see the point of your post.
    Rest easy, brother.