1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Primitive Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Michael Wrenn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

There was no vitrol for you to respond to here.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

What do you mean by "no heller"?

Do you not believe there is a hell?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my own research...

They are a very small group and they do believe in the place called hell.

From what I have read, "no-hellers" are PB's who don't believe that hell (place of the lost) is eternal.

They say it is temporary and therefore object to the label "no-hellers".

They believe each will eventually be redeemed via the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

They are not technically "universalists" as they maintain that Jesus Christ is the only Savior and only He can save.

That's what I know. It might not be a precise definition but close anyway.

If this is way of base, some one please correct me.

Thanks
    HankD

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what, I've posed this challenge more than once with no real response; show from scripture that saved [sozo] is synonymous with regeneration.

I'd love to hear more from folks like you and Hank on this; by all means 'flesh it out' for me. :)

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My reading is different. The "No-Hellers" believe that hell is temporal (during this life) and not eternal, and do hold to universal redemption. (The reject the label "No-Hellers, since they do believe in hell, just not a hell in the next life.)

A good brief description is at:

http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2011/06/hellers-or-no-hellers.html

A full account of the Primitive Baptist Universalists is contained a book by Howard Dorgan, "In the Hands of a Happy God: The 'No-Hellers' of Central Appalachia."

http://books.google.com/books/about/In_the_Hands_of_a_Happy_God.html?id=7Mr-zilSKdgC

It is a tiny minority even within the Primitive universe: Dorgan found that the members of PBU churches numbered only 571 in 1995.

#45 rsr, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a variation on the PB eternal vs. time salvations contrivance. One can purportedly be be 'eternally' saved yet live and die having never heard and/or accepted the Gospel. There is supposedly also 'time' salvation (being converted and experiencing the attendant blessings during one's lifetime).

For the Universalist faction of PBs, unconverted people experience 'Hell on earth' throughout their lives.

7. Steadfast Fred

Those who teach that hell is only termporary are going to be highly disappointed, imo.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

My PB brother, do you know if there are any PB universalists or "No-Hellers" in the Deep South?

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I went to the link you suggested and found it to be helpful.

It is not my intention to debate our views--mine are well known. It is my intention to learn more from you about PB doctrines.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you need to review The Revelation account of the last judgment.

The unbelievers do not spend eternity in hell, and that Hell is only temporary just as death.

11. Steadfast Fred

Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is also known as hell, and it will last forever.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the lake of fire is known as "the second death."

Hell and the Lake of Fire are different places. One is terminal, the other is eternal.

Just because believers use the terms interchangeably, does not mean that they are actually the same nor that hell is forever.

13. Steadfast Fred

Actually, hell is eternal. Though Scripture tells us that death and hell are cast into the lake of fire, Scripture elsewhere tells us that the fires of hell are not quenched. Hell marches on even after being cast into the lake of fire.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My response was informational and I have no desire to debate the doctrinal issue.

While I am not a universalist, I am amazed that so many christians are chagrined by the idea that God would (or even could) ultimately save all of mankind.

No doubt He could but the scripture seems so very certain that He won't.

However if it turns out to be true I don't know of many people who would be happier than myself.

In the meantime, I will warn of the wrath to come whenever the Lord priviledges me with the opportunity.

The Howard Dorgan book(s) mentioned are the only ones related to no-hellers of which I am aware apart from history books.
    I found most of it on-line but have not read the entire book.
    I also found some documents related to their schism from traditional PB churches.
    It seems that (like many other Baptists) they were/are a quarrelsome folk.

Also, it seems that in the middle 1800's there was a non PB Trinitarian universalist group/movement in Boston which turned out to be very short-lived.

HankD

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #55 kyredneck, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

There are many on this forum who would be quite distressed if all could be saved. Some seem to take peculiar delight in souls frying forever.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael,

Your post is demeaning.

Why would you think that those who believe in the Sovereignty of God ever take pleasure in the death of the wicked? For God takes no such pleasure.

At the judgment(s) there is enough sin and wiping off of the dust of memory and motives to condemn all, and all bow the knee to Christ.

Not that all are saved, but that all certainly bow.

The delight of heaven and wiping of tears is after the judgments of the throne and when the new earth and heaven appear.

There is no delight in the death of the wicked - not even their second death.

My sweet bride and I were discussing last night how that it is sad that characters such as Nero and Hitler, both flaming in human self-righteousness, could have been remarkably saved had God desired. But that His purpose was of a different end so there is no pleasure that they died and will dwell in the second death forever.

Delight is to be found in the Lord, and not in the wicked - even their death.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You made an accusation. Now do you have proof?

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Ann, It's my fault, I started it and I'm sorry.

HankD