1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Princeton Seminary Vol.1, 1812-1868

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rippon, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The header is the name of the first of two books about Princeton Seminary by David B. Calhoun.

I bought both of his volumes around two decades ago. This first one was published in 1994 by Banner of Truth Trust.

I am indeed a Baptist. However, I think there should be a department on this board which can devote itself to Church History --not only Baptist History.

This book deals with Presbyterianism --we're talking of Princeton after all.

Calhoun's first book deals with ten of its earliest professors.

I will list the names of each and the time period(s) in which they served that institution. Also, I will give information about their pastoral periods. Their time as pastor was rarely at just one church.

Archibald Alexander (1812-1851)
    He pastored three churches totaling nine years. He was an itinerant missionary for a time.

Samuel Miller (1813-1849). One charge lasted eight years as an associate pastor. The other one lasted twelve years.

Charles Hodge (1820-1878). He wasn't a pastor, yet he did preach in various churches before and after ordination for a year or so. He was also deemed a missionary. Preaching was not his forte.

William H. Green (1846-1849 and 1851-1900). He was stated supply for two years. He was a pastor for two years at another church.

James W. Alexander (1849-1851). He pastored at three churches totaling 15 years.

Joseph A. Alexander (1838-1860) He preached at two churches in Philly --six moths each.

C. W. Hodge (1860-1891). He was pastor of two churches for a total of six years.

John Breckinridge (1836-1838). He had two pastorates lasting eight years total.

William T. Mcgill (1854-1883). Two pastorates totaling seven years.

James C. Moffat. (1861-1888). Though born in Scotland (home of some of the best preachers, he did not pastor or preach.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Archibald Alexander died in October of 1851. His son James died less than eight years later. His brother Joseph died six months later.

Samuel Miller died in Jan. of 1850.
    Charles Hodge died in June of 1878.
    John Breckinridge died in August of 1841 at just 44 years of age.
    William H. Green passed away in Feb. of 1900. Charles Hodge was older at his death, but Dr. Green was the only one of the faculty to make it to the turn of the century.
    Alexander T. McGill passed away in Jan. of 1889.
    C. W. Hodge, son of Charles died, just 12 years after his father --in Sept. of 1890.
    James C. Moffat went into the Lord's presence in June of 1890.