1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Printed in 1668?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Gershom, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Does the type/print of this book look like it was really printed in 1668 as the seller is proposing?

1668 BOOK? <----

Less than fifty years earlier, the type and spelling was different that what is shown here, wasn't it?

What say ye?

2. natters

natters New Member

Looks legit to me - I watched many old books and Bibles from the 1400s to the 1700s on ebay, and I don't see anything there that looks suspicious. Type and spelling varied by printer. For example, the 1611 KJV was originally in ornate Gothic font, but 50 years before that, the 1560 Geneva used a tight Roman font. The use of 'f' for an 's' only applied to lower-case letters, and only when it didn't occur at the end of the word (such as the word "Gofpel" about 2/3 the way down the page, on the right, in the pic.)

Also, if you look at the enlarged pic ( http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/af/69/d8_3.JPG ), you can make out "1668" in the very bottom-right corner, the last text on the page. The seller could probably make available a better picture of this if you ask him.