1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Private interpretation of prophecy relating to Israel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Covenanter, Aug 27, 2018.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are there very many Evangelicals in the UK? He is also a YEC--are there very many YECs in the UK? Do you know Simon Turpin who works for AiG UK?

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Many' is a relative term. Bible-believing Christianity is at a low ebb here, but there is still a remnant preserved by grace. There are also quite a few Young Earth Creationists of whom I am one. Google up Professor Stuart Burgess and see what you get.
    I'm afraid the name Simon Turpin doesn't ring a bell. I will have a look for him when I get back from holiday (I am currently sunning myself in the island of Majorca :)).

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a nice vacation! Oh, I saw Prof. Burgess on tv. AiG at the Creation Museum did a series of "The Best of British Bible & Science" and taped lectures in the Legacy Hall and then broadcast them on their tv program. So I saw him and had saved his lecture to the cable box but it burnt up and I lost it. However, the lecture is available on DVD from AiG. Ken Ham has done an amazing work with Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, and Ark Encounter (Noah's Ark) about forty miles away in Williamstown, Kentucky--all of it south of Cincinnati, Ohio. He must have spent about $200,000,000 because he has said that the Ark alone cost just over $100,000,000. Dr. John Whitcomb, the co-author with Dr. Henry Morris of the book The Genesis Flood in 1961 lives in Indianapolis and has befriended Ken Ham for many years, as did Dr. Morris. Prof. Burgess is associated with Creation Ministries International, which has a very good weekly tv show, much of which is available on YouTube.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have max respect for Ken Ham whom I heard speak once many years ago. He has done an amazing job promoting Creationism.
    Stuart Burgess came and spoke at our church about 18 months ago. Wonderful man! His personal story is amazing! He left school at 15 without a single qualification, yet now he is probably the leading expert of design in the UK. If you go to Events and scroll down, you will find his talk, though unfortunately it is sound only.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, very good talk. Imagine memorizing the decimals of pi to 46,000 places. And arthritis--I got that nasty thing a year ago. If you visit the USA, spend at least two days in Kentucky at Answers in Genesis. It is very rural there but it probably will be built up rapidly now because so many thousands visit there daily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing! The British speakers have been very interesting in their conference in Kentucky. I have two DVDs from the conference, but there is a whole set of them.

Best of British Bible & Science - Petersburg, KY | Answers in Genesis

• Like Like x 1
  8. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a speaker from "Answers in Genesis" next Sunday morning. I'll tell you his name.

This relates to the OP in that interpreting the many creation texts as YEC is of vital importance. It was very important to me from my conversion as I was about to go to university to read for a science degree.

I'm enjoying listening to Brian Edwards. Thanks for the links.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for posting. I am so happy that YECs are alive and well in the UK! Dr. Terry Mortenson, who studied at Coventry University, notes that the Church made a catastrophic mistake on geology before Darwin, and he also has written a book on British clergy who stood all of their lives in the late 18th and early 19th centuries against this horrible mistake that still infects the church. The names of the American clergy who also stood have been lost in the mists of time. The American theologian who stood against this in the twenty-first century is Dr. John C. Whitcomb, who happens to live here in Indianapolis. The decay in the American educational system has prevented the scientific evidence from receiving a proper consideration, and even the SBC leaders stand against YEC. As has been noted, the doctrine of Evolution has been an acid that has destroyed all that it touches. As for Brian Edwards, he is the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture is pretty plain that ALL Israel and Judah will be restored as one nation again, with Jerusalem as its capital. Right now, only the Jews are known to the world as Israelis, but GOD knows who the others are, and He will make it known when His time comes.

Plainly God told ezekiel that the bones in the famous vision represented the WHOLE House of Israel-all 12 tribes, not just the Jews.

As for the Palestinians, the Jews recognize them as the descendants of their old enemy, the Philistines. After all, "Palestinian" is simply Latin for "Philistine"! Thus, the Jews will do them harm every chance they get! However, Zechariah was shown by GOD that some Pals will be honored by the Jews & absorbed into them as the Jebusites were.

11. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ezekiel prophesied to the exiles. The Judaeans were suffering 70 years of exile, while the Ephraimites & other tribes had been exiled & scattered for many more years. We don't know if Jeremiah's 70 year prophecy had been given. Isaiah's prophecies may have been known, or forgotten, & there were plenty of false prophets. So the exiles considered themselves dead to all the promises -
    37:11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13 And ye shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 14 and shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.​

Ezekiel's prophecy is to give them hope, to encourage them to be faithful to the LORD in their exile; to live in hope so they would be eager to return & rebuild city & temple. Synagogues were established around the Mediteranean & as far as Persia & Egypt & North Africa. It seems these continued & received the Gospel preached by Paul & others.

Ezra, Nehemiah & Esther record the fulfilment of the prophecies. Haggai, Zechariah & Malachi prophesied to those who returned & we can read how the priests & people were less than whole hearted in their service to the LORD. So God sent the long-promised Messiah.

Many thousands responded to John's preaching, & to Jesus in his 3 1/2 years ministry, including Samaritans/Palestinians. Thousands (the world) followed him & he had a tremendous welcome into Jerusalem. At Pentecost 3,000 responded, & 5,000 a few days later. Acts records how all sorts of Jews responded to the Gospel, before it was opened to the Gentiles. The fact that the Jewish leaders rejected their Messiah & his followers cannot frustrate the promises & prophecies of God. The Gospel has continued open to the Jews with the welcome of the Father to the prodigal.

Thus the Gospels & Acts record how the promises to Abraham were being fulfilled by the LORD Jesus Christ by the Gospel.

How today's Jews, continuing the the rejection of their Messiah, regard the Palestinians, Christians, Muslims & others, is not a valid interpretation of prophecy. Prophecy - Rom.11 - looks for their repentance rather than continuing in unbelief. Only by belief in the LORD Jesus Christ will all Israel be saved.

You need to read on in Ezekiel -
    47:22 And it shall come to pass, that ye shall divide it by lot for an inheritance unto you, and to the strangers that sojourn among you, which shall beget children among you: and they shall be unto you as born in the country among the children of Israel; they shall have inheritance with you among the tribes of Israel. 23 And it shall come to pass, that in what tribe the stranger sojourneth, there shall ye give him his inheritance, saith the Lord God.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, two general questions from history.

1. Who did the Germans kill?

2. Should we believe what DNA says about who is a Jew?