1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pro-Life Leader Dr. John Willke Backs Mitt Romney's Presidential Bid

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Oct 22, 2007.

1. leesw

leesw Member

I watched Mitt Romney recently and he was extremely aggressive in terms of speaking out on abortion, saying that he would only appoint pro-life judges and that he would remove our tax dollars from funding abortions. He said that he, like Ronald Reagan "converted" to the prolife side. He was very straight forward and at this point based on his words the media could really slam him for being anti-choice because he didn't sugar coat anything. He said that abortion was murder and that we cannot continue to act as though it is a choice we should be making.

I was impressed. I believe he truly changed his mind and that he wasn't truly a pro-choice guy before anyway--especially based on his record as governor. As a presidential candidate, his personal theology is not as important to me as his values which appear to line up very well with mine (pro family, parent's rights, nation under God, pro-life, anti new or higher taxes). See story below.

=============================================

Pro-Life Leader Dr. John Willke Backs Mitt Romney's Presidential Bid

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney got a boost over the weekend when Dr. John Willke, credited as one of the founders of the modern-day pro-life movement, gave him his endorsement. Willke was the president of National Right to Life and the Romney campaign tells LifeNews.com he will be a surrogate for it.

Romney has come under fire during the presidential campaign because of his recent pro-life conversion just a few years ago. Some have doubted whether Romney is truly pro-life and Willke's endorsement will help his campaign overcome some of their concerns.

Willke, a physician who remains active in the pro-life movement in Ohio, says he based his endorsement of the former Massachusetts governor on his record in office.

"Unlike other candidates who only speak to the importance of confronting the major social issues of the day, Governor Romney has a record of action in defending life," he said in a statement sent to LifeNews.com.
    "Every decision he made as Governor was on the side of life. I know he will be the strong pro-life President we need in the White House," Willke added. "Governor Romney is the only candidate who can lead our pro-life and pro-family conservative movement to victory in 2008."

The GOP presidential contender said he was thrilled to receive Willke's endorsement.

"I am proud to have the support of a man who has meant so much to the pro-life movement in our country," Governor Romney said.

"He knows how important it is to have someone in Washington who will actively promote pro-life policies," Romney added. "Policies that include more than appointing judges who will follow the law but also opposing taxpayer funded abortion and partial birth abortion."

Willke joins National Right to Life legal counsel Jim Bopp in supporting the Romney campaign, though the organization itself has yet to make a presidential endorsement.

http://www.lifenews.com/nat3392.html

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

To now say that abortion is murder when he previously supported it at the very least deserves an apology for the murders he helped sanction. But alas:

IMHO, taking Flipp Romney serious about his deeply held respect for life without so much as an apology from him for the wrong he legislated is a psychological projection of values, and a misplaced one.