1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pro life legislation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Regardless, Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, and will remain so. With the re-election of a Democratic president, the next appointment to SCOTUS will have lasting effects long beyond the current administration.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You've forgotten One with more power than the president to stop the sacrifice of babies to other gods. Roe v. Wade may be the law of the land, but it isn't God's law. We don't have a promise that any law of the land will extend beyond the next sunrise.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quite correct. I believe that those who proposed what is called "pro-life legislation" knew it had no chance of becoming law, but were proposing it for purely political purposes. This is the primary reason I say it is a waste of time and effort. Go on to other important issues. This one is settled whether I like it or not. As I have said before, when I spit into the wind the only thing that happens is my face gets wet.

And you are right about the next appointment to the SCOTUS. In the next four years or or more appointment will be made. There are four sitting justices over 70.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

One should not fail to stand for something just because it seems like a lost cause. What could be more important than trying to protect the lives of the innocent?

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Having said that I know that I have only so much energy and time, so I have to pick and choose. Roe v. Wade is; the law of the land and has been upheld numerously. Thus it has lots of precedent and is unlikely to be overturned, especially now. Thus I see no fruitfulness in spending lots of my limited time and effort in trying to get it changes. There are other fight to be fought.

Remember the old Willie Nelson song that had the words;

A person must be aware of the odds before going into a fight. Not to do so will usually end badly. Or to be blind to reality will do that same. A person should not let emotions, desires, wants ... or a number of other words ... blind them. An example; I have read that Hitler was always convinced that just one more counterattack would defeat the allies and save Germany. He was furious his generals did not agree with him even as the Russian troops were entering Berlin.

#6 Crabtownboy, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing but then some have a need to ignore the plight of the unborn so they can continue to support a party and organization that that supports the slaughter of the unborn.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IOW, I preserve myself at the cost of the blood of innocents.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...I believe that was Kenny Rogers....

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Roe v. Wade was/is a good compromise, the approx point that the baby can live on the outside with some medical help.

No one knows at what stage a human receives his soul.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

He's says from one side of his mouth while the other side is busy justifying the slaughter of millions around the world because it's just good business. Nothing like a heaping helping of the leaven of the Pharisees to set those evil baby killers straight huh Rev? :rolleyes:

#11 poncho, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And until then we just assume that it doesn't have a soul?? I guess that makes killing it a little less difficult on the conscience.

So, one week before the "mass of cells" can live outside the womb, it is okay to kill it, but one week later it is not? This is absolute insanity!

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

This is an issue where we need many emulators of the OT prophets: those who though standing alone pronounce the truth about the murder of millions of babies and God's judgment upon it.

There is no mistaking the CAC position on abortion; there will never be compromise on this as long as I am alive.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Chapter and verse?

Why did God's Law define a miscarriage that was an unintended consequence of a fight to be a property crime?

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ever heard of progressive revelation, Bill? This is the bit where we go from the 'Law' to the 'Wisdom' literature of the OT, and in particular where the psalmist speaks about God knitting him together in his mother's womb. There's a clear shift in revelation from property to personhood here. For me, that makes it a no-brainer: God-given life begins at conception and ends at natural death.

However...referring to the thread title, what do we make of ? Probably worthy of its own thread, but is this a bad law or a good law badly applied and how would you suggest this kind of situation be prevented (as clearly it needs to be)?

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to ask a question on this topic, but my understanding it is a topic not to be touched or discussed.

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is that question and why do you feel unable to ask it here?

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some time ago ... and the way time flies it may have been longer than I think ... a note was sent our, or put in a thread that the Board had decided the life begins at conception and that it is a closed topic ... this seems a fair warning that anyone bringing up a question or challenging this belief was subject to being banned. Closed topic as far as I can see.