1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pro-life pensioner gets jail sentence

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ben W, May 10, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

------------------------------------------------

- A 76-year-old pro-life campaigner has become the latest victim of the steady destruction of freedom of speech under the Blair regime. Edward Atkinson's 'crime' was to send pictures of an aborted baby, and a video of an abortion, to the Chief Executive of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Trust in King's Lynn. At a time when judges are being told by the Government not to jail muggers and burglars, he was sentenced to a month in prison last Friday.

Last week at Swaffham Magistrates Court, Mr. Atkinson was convicted of three counts of sending offensive literature or material to staff at the hospital between January and April this year.

The Norfolk hospital bosses not only informed the police but also struck Mr. Atkinson off the waiting list for a hip transplant. The police in turn referred the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions, and then dragged the nearly crippled devout Catholic from his home when they arrested him and held him on remand for days until he appeared in court.

The decision to prosecute Mr. Atkinson, and his subsequent prison sentence, has cost thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money, and wasted a large amount of police and court time which would have been far better spent dealing with real criminals.

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news_detail.php?newsId=918

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ben, are you aware of the source of the article? It's taken from the website of the British National Party, an extreme right-wing, neo-Nazi group. Their current tactic seems to be to cultivate the Christian vote.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

To be honest Matt, I did not know who the group was, yet is the material true?

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd heard of it; I think there's a bit more to it than what the BNP quote - IIRC, this was a long-drawn-out campaign of harassment of the hospital staff, about which he had been warned repeatedly. I'll see if I can find a link to another story about it.

[ETA - HEREWITH; it seems he was in actuality jailed for breaking an earlier court order.