1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Probe finds drugs in U.S. drinking water supplies

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Jeff Donn, Martha Mendoza and Justin Pritchard - Associated Press - 12:00:00 AM

A vast array of pharmaceuticals - including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and hormones - have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.

But the presence of so many prescription drugs - and over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen - in so much of our drinking water is heightening worries among scientists of long-term consequences to human health.

THE REST OF THE STORY

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see it now. People all over the US failing drug screens.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Foreigners coming here will be warned, "Don't drink the water"... :thumbs:

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

Seriously though, it's not just here, but everywhere in the Western world where there is water treatment and a society that has ready access to medication.

Wastewater systems more than a decade or so old don't have hormone disrupters and other bacteria-treatment systems to clean up the "non-traditional" (that is, the non-brown) elements of wastewater. Therefore, when the cleaned up water goes back into the rivers and is processed for human consumption again downstream, those hormones and chemicals are still in the water system.

Thanks for the science surrounding water "closed loop" water re-use systems that are being built today, drinking water will be safer and cleaner than ever before, and we will protect our environment more carefully.

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I know they have been randomly testing several cities, looking for both legal and illegal substances. Some say it is a way of looking to see which cities are doing which drugs. While it can't pinpoint exactly what each household is using, it can give a general picture of what the drugs trends are for that particular city.

love,

Sopranette

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I asked my doctor what to do with old meds I was told to flush them down the toilet! I threw them away instead. Hey, if someone finds them at the city dump and decides to ingest them, at least they do it of their own free will. Maybe the rats will eat them or something and get medicated, but I don't care as long as it isn't in my drinking water!