1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Problem recording CD's

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Terry_Herrington, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

For some reason I am now unable to record my CD's to my hard drive as MP3 files. I have tried using Real One, Musicmatch, and several rippers I have downloaded from the Internet. They all start alright, but after about 5 minutes they freeze up. I have to unplug my computer to get it to restart. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i doubt it if the problem is in your ripper. i have no idea of what wrong, but if i were you i would:

1. clean my cd drive; and

2. use "easy cleaner" by microsoft, which is downloadble for free.

3. Terry_Herrington

Aki,
    I have two CD drives and the same thing happens regardless of which drive the CD is in. Another thing is that the CD's will play perfectly, they just will not record. I'm stumped!

I will probably just not record the CD's until I get a newer computer, maybe later this year.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you’re using Windows XP, it could have something to do with their digital rights technology that degrades (and possibly prevents) the creation of mp3s in favor of their proprietary format that encodes digital rights management.

I suggest you investigate this angle to see if there are settings you can configure that will allow you to properly burn CDs.

5. Terry_Herrington

Baptist Believer,
    I am running Windows 98.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I don't have a clue. :D I've been living in the wonderful world of Macintosh for the past 4 years and the computer services people at work worry about my Windows 2000 box.

I'll just give you the standard response they give me when I call the Dell hotline to when I'm trying to fix my parent's computer:

"Uh... What you need to do it reinstall Windows. Then if that doesn't work, call back and someone will help you." [​IMG]

7. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Is it a particular CD?

Some these days are copy protected and can have all sorts of side effects when you try to rip them.

8. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Terry, Try slowing down the record data transfer rate from (for example 8X to 4X). You might be getting buffer underruns like my machine does sometimes. If your software supports it, try it in test mode first so you don't waste CD's getting the rate right.

9. EdClifford

EdClifford Guest

I use Music Match and I have Windows 98. The problem could be the memory, if you don't have enough memory it will slow down and freeze up.
    This is the mp3 format, and I have recorded church services for abour 12 years on video tapes. I copied some of the music to audio cassette tapes, then loadeded in the coputer. I have cut several CD's from it with good results. The hard drive should be at least 30GB and about 256 M memory in ROM.
    Ed