1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Profiting From The Word -- AWP

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [It's a Pink-fest on the BB!]

First , what are the objects before your mind in times of recreation ? What do your thoughts most run upon ? Second , what are the objects of your choice ? When you have to decide how to spend an evening or the Sabbath afternoon , what do you select ? Third , which occasions you the most sorrow , the loss of earthly things , or lack of communion with God ? Which greater grief ( or chagrin ) , the spoiling of your plans , or the coldness of your heart to Christ ? Fourth , what is your favorite topic of conversation ? Do you hanker after the news of the day , or to meet with those who talk of the altogether lovely One ? Fifth , do your good intentions materialize , or are they nothing but empty dreams ? Are you spending more or less time than formerly on your knees ? Is the Word sweeter to your taste , or has your soul lost its relish for it ?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures and Obedience

[ Some ] suppose that because their store of biblical knowledge has increased that they are more spiritual ... We feed on the Word only when we personally appropriate , masticulate and assimilate into our lives what we hear and read . Where there there is not an increasing conformity of heart and life to God's Word , then increased knowledge will only bring increased condemnation ... There is such a thing as spiritual dropsy , and multitudes are suffering from it . The more they hear , the more they want to hear ; they drink in sermons and addresses with avidity , but their lives are unchanged . They are puffed up with their knowledge , not humbled into the dust before God .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has your study of the Bible made you more humble , or proud of the knowledge you have acquired ? Has it raised you in the esteem of your fellow men , or has it led you to take a lower place before God ? Has it produced in you a deeper abhorrence and loathing of self , or has it made you more complacent ? Has it caused those you mingle with , or perhaps teach , to say 'I wish I had your knowledge of the Bible' ; or does it cause you to pray , 'Lord give me the faith , the grace , the holiness Thou hast granted my friend , or teacher '?