1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prominent evangelical seminary cuts staff

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by gb93433, Jan 16, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hear you, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that comment. Not like many with religious degree's make big loot...

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd like to see this proven. And are we talking about tenured professors? Pay package comparisons? You cannot compare a pastor's total compensation package with a prof's salary because we don't know the value of the prof's health insurance, reimbursements, etc.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All I know is what my friends who are seminary professors tell me. New professors are not tenured. The first time I was told I was shocked. So I asked a new professor about what he was making and he told me what new professors were making. At the time I knew what the average salary in the SBC of a new pastor was and the new professor was at the time. My undertsanding was that pastors and profs in the SBC had insurance and retirements through SBC agenicies.

One year ago I spoke with a professor who just retired less than one month ago and he told me that what I was making as a new professor at a secular university is more than he retired at.

#23 gb93433, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Profs generally have at least part of their insurance paid by the seminary, and they are generally on group insurance plans. Pastors generally have individual policies, and many of them have to take the entire amount out of their salary.