1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Promoting Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

So be it. Let's deal with the subject on hand and then you can create a new thread about how I encourage hatred, wrath, and strife.

If a pastor promoted fornication or a book/movie about/showing fornication would you come to the defense of that pastor or would you rebuke him?

If a pastor promoted witchcraft or a book/movie about/showing witchcraft would you come to the defense of that pastor or would you rebuke him?

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Rebuke times 2.

3. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

crickets?.....

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

**Moderator note**

I intentionally changed the title of this thread in order to protect personal integrity of a fellow minister in Christ

Bro. David

#4 blackbird, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  5. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

very well.

#5 Bro. Williams, Jul 24, 2007
  6. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I don't guess I have a choice do I blackbird? And if you feel it necessary to edit my posts, please note in the post you are doing so. I wouldn't want it to be a case of false witness.

#6 Bro. Williams, Jul 24, 2007
  7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It is pretty generous to call Rick Warren a fellow minister in Christ.
    I don't think he needs protecting but rather exposing for his heresies.

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

amen and thank you, maybe three of us won't be silenced... not likely.

9. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Should Rick Warren be promoting the Harry Potter book? Absolutely not. But I'm not convinced he is promoting it as much as he's [by proxy] trying to encourage Christians to show the world that "...some of us can distinguish between someone praying to Satan (eg. witchcraft) and a good story (which can include people with abilities natural in other worlds)." Of course, that's just me putting words in his head, but since his outreach is very pop culture centric it seems reasonable to me that he would attempt to distance himself from those who would condemn Harry Potter as witchcraft.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I should probably disclose that I do not know much about Hairy Potter, I mean Harry Potter :)
    I don't feel the need to investigate every passing fad.
    That said, I don't see anything GOOD about it either.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Moderators don't need our permission to edit posts.

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That is why I made a request. [personal attack removed]

#12 Bro. Williams, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, there are five other Moderators for this forum, two of whom are also BB Administrators. And if and/or when a Moderator does edit, there is a note at the bottom of the post saying so, and by whom.

Ed

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have no basis to make that request...they will edit as they feel it is needed, with or without your permission. Rules are rules. If you don't like it...leave.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is your problem? Why do you feel it necessary to always belittle those who you don't agree with with insults?

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Webdog, what would you know about such things? You've only been around 2 1/2 years and for 7500 or so posts and why would you think that you understand better, that an old vet who's been around for a whole month with ~275 posts? :rolleyes:

And isn't it strange that some of these 'old vets' have managed to accumulate more editing in a week than I have received in my year and a half and 4K+ posts on the BB? Something must be fishy, here, don't ya' think??

In fact, I recall one old vet who was here for a whole week with 8 posts, if I remember correctly! And I believe I recall someone saying the 'record' is 2 posts. :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

P.S. FTR, webdog and I, and others with a bunch of posts, 'lost' a couple of hundred posts about a year ago, when some formatting changed. Had that not happened, I'd be 'credited' with almost 4500, as of today, for whatever that's worth.

#16 EdSutton, Jul 24, 2007
  17. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Yes Ed, I am aware of this, but some of you are kind enough to put a spot in the actual post where text was removed or edited. Most do not look at the bottom or the page to see that it has been edited. It was a request, that is all. And no need to be flippant, like I told bowwow, it was request. What a rude spirit tonight!

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still see you are working on that beam. Wanna borrow a chain saw? :laugh:

19. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

So what are you , BB watchdog? Woudn't you like it if I left, it sure would make things easier for you. :laugh: And I have every basis to make a request to a brother :thumbs:. And I can do it without your permission!:thumbs:

DO you not remember inserting yourself into this discussion without "permission" as you would say. I don't know what your infatuation is, but you should really get a grip.

Listen, if you want to start a thread about me and how you hate me in brotherly love and all, that is fine. But try to stop hijacking threads with your angry spewing that has nothing to do with the thread, only with your lack of love and forgiveness for me. :thumbs:

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

C'mon fellows. Let's toss another Harry Potter book on the fire, gather round, hold hands and sing...

C'mon people now
    smile on your brother
    everybody get together
    try to love one another
    right now