1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Promoting Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

What opinions?

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Go back and re-read all of your posts.

This is kind of funny, because this is usually where all the blood starts to boil. You see, we are both Christians who can talk about things we disagree on. You interpret many of the passages of Jesus and Paul's warnings to include guys like Rick Warren. While I understand many criticisms of Warren, I would definitely not include him as being a "wolf", or a "deceiver", or many of the other serious accusations that have been made here. But...that is my opinion, and you have stated your opinion. I understand that somebody is right, and somebody is wrong...but I'm not going to bash anyone's character, or salvation because I disagree. I heard your case. I got all of your opinions. I get what your saying. I just disagree. End of debate, right?

SO NOW I MAY NEED TO START SHOUTING, BECAUSE I AM MOVING ON AS I'M TYPING THIS....YOU MAY NOT HEAR ME VERY WELL BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE STAYING ON THE ISSUE, NOT WILLING TO LEAVE IT ALONE, AND LET IT REST.

AM.....I.....FADING!?.....CAN............YOU...............STILL.........HEAR...............ME!?

MOVE...............ON.............AND..................WE.................CAN................TALK...........ABOUT........................OTHER...........................THINGS!

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen to all of this.

I happen to think things like CNN and American Idol are more dangerous than Harry Potter. But it's ultimately up to parents. If you are a parent and don't want your kids reading Harry Potter, so be it.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree with you, I don't like that "movement" either. But I think biblically it is wrong to personally attack and slander because you feel this way. By doing so you are going about it in a worldly way, and doing more harm than good. As Paul did,stay joyful. Preach the Gospel as you know it and stand for what you believe. But how another pastor deal with his congregation in a church independent of yours, is really not your business. In my opinion spending so much time and effort searching web sites for "ammo" in order to attack a brother in Christ, actually does more harm than good. These threads haven't been edifying in any way, and have just caused strife. If a lost person was reading these threads it would not glorify Christ.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I have to disagree with you in part. The mud-slinging is definitely not edifying. But in those cases where someone shows where RW is abusing scripture, that is edifying to the saints. It instructs people on the right and wrong use of scripture, and it warns people to be more alert when reading what RW has to say. This glorifies Christ because it honors the truth, and it shows SOME people are more interested in the truth than worrying about what it would look like to criticize a successful pastor.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Where is the personal attack or the slanderous comment

Because his congregation sits in the pews of thousands of churches across the land. They abide by his teachings. When someone writes a book that millions read, then he is accountable for what he is teaching them. His congregation is not limited to the pews in his building alone. Those same followers are holding positions in the church who are lead by RW.

Not too much time, just went to one, www.rickwarren.com

I am not searching for "ammo" just repeating what he has said and what others have said that is found on his website. Not attacking just repeating.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

This thread and the first one that started it (before it was closed) have been more about how Warren promotes witchcraft. I might have missed it, but where was the sincere discussion about RW and his views on scripture?

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I was talking in generalities, not just about this thread. I agree if what you're saying is the whole witchcraft thing is a red herring.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

10. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I do not agree that CNN and AI are more dangerous, but I will support you in the notion that they ARE indeed dangerous.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

That right there is funny... I don't care who you are!:laugh:

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Does Harry Potter promote witchcraft or speak against witchcraft?

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It doesn't do either. The novels are just that - novels, or stories. Murder mysteries are stories, and they usually don't promote murder or speak against it. They're just stories about a murders or a murderer. Sometimes the murderer doesn't even get caught.

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Wooah...so there's no witchcraft in the Harry Potter books?

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I COULDN'T HELP BUT HEAR YOU WAY BACK THERE....I DON'T THINK THAT IS WHAT HE SAID! YOU SHOULD COME UP HERE WITH ME!

MOVE IT ON UP!

16. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Mt 15:14 let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

My question wasn't about murder in Harry Potter, my question was about witchcraft. Is there witchcraft in Harry Potter and if yes, is it presented positively or negatively? For example, is it better to be a witch or a muggle?

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

and you can't understand the answer to your question?

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

"Is it presented positively or negatively" is a different question than "does it promote witchcraft?" The answer to the first question is, "both". The answer to this second question is it doesn't promote anything in particular.

The books are based on a fantasy world where witchcraft exists, and where a school for witchcraft exists. Within this fantasy world, the school and characters deal with those who use witchcraft for good and for evil. So it portrays witchcraft both positively and negatively. But it isn't the point of the book to portray witchcraft positively or negatively. It's just yet another tale of good vs. evil, friends, and teenage love, set in a fantasy world. The writer could just as easily have set the story in some totally different fantasy world with no witchcraft, because witchcraft is the vehicle, it's not the point.

You can watch just about any teen show where kids are in school interacting with each other and the teachers, fighting some "evil" thing, having crushes on someone, etc., and you'll get the same content as a Harry Potter book only without the magic. That's why I find Harry Potter so boring.

#99 npetreley, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

No. To say it doesn't do either is not an answer. It does one or the other. Either it is good to be a witch or it is bad to be a witch.

From the Sorcerer's stone...

When the wand chooses the wizard, is that a good thing? Does the movie portray Harry's visit to a shop to get a wand as Harry engaging in wickedness or is it portrayed as being good?
    When Harry Potter has been accepted to a school to learn about Witchcraft, is this a good thing or a bad thing.

The acts of Harry engaging in witchcraft must be portrayed as though he is a hero engaging in something good or that he is a villain engaging in something bad...witch is it?