1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Promoting Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

If the Bible only condemns witchcraft as negative, how can something that goes against the Bible's stand (putting witchcraft in a positive setting) be for God?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I give up. You guys obviously can't see the difference between a novel and an evangelism tract. There's no reasoning with you on this.

3. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

do witches evangelize much?

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

See that's the point. I do see the difference between a novel and an evangelism tract. A novel that promotes witchcraft is opposed to scripture and is wicked. An evangelism tract that is opposed to witchcraft promotes scripture and is good. I would hand out tracts preaching against witchcraft, while there are pastors who would promote reading books that promote it and therein lies the frustration.

#104 Rufus_1611, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Go yell at Cutter for using Casper the friendly ghost as his avatar. After all, the Bible speaks against consulting the dead, and Casper portrays dead people (ghosts) in a friendly and positive manner, which may encourage people to seek to communicate with the dead.

6. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

we can't start threads on other members or attack them according to the rules according to webdog.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, you can't. I guess that's a shame, because you can't throw a self-righteous fit about the evil of Casper, the friendly ghost.

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

You are the one going all angry beaver on us about it, we didn't even bring it up.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The Bible doesn't say anything is wrong with being an angry beaver. So leave Daggett alone. ;)

10. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

npet: can we keep this a secret? I was actually a fan of angry beavers at one time, and was even saddened when Nick cut them. It has been a long time though, since I last saw them... but the humor on the show was evident and outstanding for a cartoon. Okay, nothing else in common from now on, agreed?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Agreed. That means you aren't allowed to like anchovies on pizza. I claim that, and a passion for Chesapeake Bay steamed crabs.

The Angry Beavers was, IMO, the best cartoon ever. I didn't like every episode, and it got sloppy and less funny in the last season. But it had some incredible moments. The voice acting was phenomal. Richard Horvitz WAS Daggett. And the Halloween special was one of the funniest pieces of work ever done (The Day The Earth Got Really Screwed Up).

AB edged out Bugs Bunny, which used to be my #1 favorite.

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Alright, glad we can come to terms (I can handle anchovies, can't say I like them though, so that is fine). And I don't hold an opinion on the crabs yet... as I have never had the option of those...

One more thing... are the seasons on video? Just curious.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Nope, the seasons aren't on video. I have my own recordings of the shows. You can probably find a set of DVDs on eBay or something but I don't know if those copies are legal. I suspect they aren't.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

I want to back up here just for moment.

The muggles are normal people (you and me) and witches live amongst us. And YES, they can do magic outside their relm in our world but if to many people know about them then you can imagine the potentially problems that would transpirie at the knowledge of witches and wizards around them (muggles). They children under 17 are forbidden to use magic in our world. Harry get into trouble for using magic (for some reason or other) and is rebuked by being told something to the effect of - do you realize you almost jepordized our entire world.

Their witchcraft exists and IS done outside their magical relm in ours (normal people) but quietly and with care. But the problem is that it is not set in a fantisy world but in both the real and fantisy. They move between worlds and are able to use their witchcraft in both.

The case for them only using magic in this magical reality is not true. They are just more free to use the Craft there than here in our world. And you bet, can you imagine what people in general would say or do much less Christians if we saw them doing it here in our world??

How can witchcraft ever be shone in a positive light? Please show me just one instance in scripture where it is even considered neutral. The biggest problem is that the books and movies portray witchcraft as niether good or bad but simply a tool or weapon (like a knife or gun). It can used (mechanically) for either position depending on the heart or desire of the one using it. That is patently and biblically false. It is evil and abhored by God not because of the intent of the user but the Craft itself. There is no such animal as mechanical magic.

You can make the same claim for well written book concerning homosexuality. It would say much the same thing. That it isn't the act that is inherently evil but whether a person is just being lustful and self fulfilling then it is not right, but if it is for Love then that makes all the difference in the world. (that is the key ...in the world). We are to be in the world and not of the world.

I've said my peace for now and given my opinion.

#114 Allan, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Unfortunately for your view, there is no 'our world' inside the setting of Harry Potter. The setting is entirely fictional. There are parallels between the fantasy world of Potter and our real world, but I learned the difference between fantasy and reality about the same time as I learned to read. I'm not going to be confusing the two.

'Witchcraft' such as exists in the Potter books simply doesn't exist in reality no matter how much research Rowling put into the lore of witch craft. There are NO unicorns or pheonixes(can't make wands without them). Practioners of withcraft don't wave wands (magicians/illusionists do this and confess it to be merely a prop). And if one tries to to cast a spell to make lanterns float above the table, it's NOT going to work!

Witch craft in the real world is a much different subject. It deals with worship, something I've already told you doesn't even exist in the books. Raising the dead is an impossiblity in the Potter books.

Somewhere along the line you must divide reality from fiction.

I've been drawn back in. :rolleyes: My real opinion is that Christian's need to stop railing about such nonsense and get back to the point of Christ and His sacrifice. If we take care to do that we are commanded to do, subjects such as this will take care of themselves!

16. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Exactly, and in such a case, people would be concerned about Christ and living and serving Him. IN turn, there wouldn't be an issue on Harry Potter for people would see it as a waste of time and in the way of serving Christ by both time consumption and the fact that it is (or could be for those not willing to take the Bible's stand against witchcraft) against God's word.

The problem is, it has to be mentioned because most Christians are NOT living like you mentioned and NOT concentrating fully on Christ. IF they were, this would not be an issue.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The lack of reality in the books is irrelevent. Are the activities in the book activities God would have us take part in? Of course not. So why then is it acceptable to be entertained by activities God would not approve of?

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

While I am not a supporter of this sit I found this article quite interesting so here are some interesting quotes for you reading enjoyment:

#118 Allan, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  19. Allan

Allan Active Member

And a little more:

#119 Allan, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I noticed that tonight's Jeapordy program had a Harry Potter catagory. It was high school kids on the show and they wizzed through the catagory like lightening.