1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Proof-texting

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is that when we build our theology on first we our church/pastor/teacher/school states is true, and then grab those proof texts to support them!

2. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using scripture to prove our doctrine is essential! All that I was saying was that cults and some believers use scripture in error.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, the gospel accomplished just what He intended at that time, and that's what's pertinent. If He says it was preached in all creation under heaven, then I'm meek enough to accept Him at His word.

#23 kyredneck, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends who we are & what & why we are doing .....

Teaching Sunday School children single proof texts to reinforce a lesson is helpful to them & a useful exercise.

Jesus frequently cites a text - It is written ... - to make a point, knowing that his hearers/opponents will know the context. He rarely develops arguments based on a text.
    e.g Mark 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands? 6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. 7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

The Apostles develop arguments from the texts they quote.
    e.g. Peter in Acts 2 quotes fully & develops the argument in detail.

Hebrews 1 is a series of proof texts to develop an argument concerning Christ .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you need to be meek enough to consider the possibility that you are understanding Him wrongly.
    Col. 1:23. 'The Gospel.....which was preached [aorist tense] to every creature under heaven.'
    Col. 1:28. 'Him we preach [present tense] warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.'

Why is Paul preaching the Gospel when it has already been preached to every creature under heaven? Because v.23 refers to the proclamation of Christ to the world, both in eternity (Psalm 2:7) and in time (Matthew 3:17). But this proclamation still needs to be made so that people can hear it. 'How shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?' (Romans 10:14). And so, "This Gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come" (Matthew 24:14). How do we know that this hasn't happened yet? Because the end hasn't come yet. The preaching goes on.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to be meek enough to refrain from derailing this thread. I posted what I did as an example (and intend to provide more) BECAUSE I QUOTE A LOT OF SCRIPTURE, and I'd love to understand how others perceive it.

Start a thread on the spread of the gospel or the great commission or whatever it is that's got you excited and I'll participate.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is one problem (one I've referred to as simple indoctrination). Perhaps another issue is in the exact opposite direction - building theology in isolation. It is possible to be influenced by presuppositions, culture, ideologies/worldviews, and what limited knowledge/experience one individual (or a couple of individuals) may possess.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our difference is semantics. I agree with you, in general at least.

Yes, this demonstrates redundancy. :) The more a thing is repeated in scriptures, the more certain the doctrine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #12.

Yea, I've written a few enthusiastic 'essays' on the BB myself. I think it's a stage many of us go through, but "brevity is the soul of wit", and makes for better online discussions, and I don't know of any book that demonstrates brevity any better than the Bible. (although I have wondered why the framers of our constitution couldn't have expounded more)

Yes, redundancy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called 'wresting the scripture'. :)

16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; wherein are some things hard to be understood, which the ignorant and unstedfast wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3

Or corrupting the word of God to make merchandise from it:

17 For we are not as the many, corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God, speak we in Christ. 2 Cor 2

( did I just demonstrate 'proof texting'?)

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I perceive it as not great. I don't think my worst enemy would accuse me of not quoting Scripture in my posts, but the devil can quote Scripture (Matthew 4:6). It is helpful to know why you believe the verses you quote mean what you say they do.
    What got me excited was the posting of unrelated verses without explanation to push a doctrine that had nothing to do with the O.P. I may start a thread on Matt. 14 if I get the time.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Zactly my opinion of your use of scripture.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Second Coming event will be the biggest thing Earth has ever seen, so was not AD 70 for sure, and will come after all who need to hear the message have heard it, as God will save out His elect in total before that comes to pass!

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can be a serious matter leading to cultic offshoots, but there has always been one quote given that stays with me every time I hear someone proof text, and that is "Context, context, context." Walter Martin I believe?

16. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good and interesting thread!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, do not pin all of of your theology on just an isolated verse! Baptism for the dead, as theMormons do?

18. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some instances where particular divisions within the church came about simply because of a verse or two pulled out of context and used as a proof text. Sad and unnecessary.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foot washing, praying in tongues etc!

20. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Remember, proof texting is at times without context. A single statement with or without context is not sufficient to base a doctrine upon. Maybe one or two places. Proof testers throw out words faster than most of us can talk or at my age even think. Proof text platitudes verge on biblical bullying.