1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prophecy versus Teaching

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Agent47, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Throughout Christian history there are two Pauline injunctions that have been used to keep women away from the pulpit:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (KJV)
    Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2:11-12 (KJV)
    Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

But we know too well that women prophesied in the New Testament.

Philip’s daughters were prophets:

Acts 21:9 (KJV)
    And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

More importantly,Paul gives instructions for women prophets:

1 Corinthians 11:5 (KJV)
    But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

And all of this confirm Joel 2:28 prophecy of Spirit being poured on ‘sons and daughters’

So women could prophesy but couldn’t teach?
    This tells me prophecy is not equal to teaching, else the question of women prophesying would never have been raised. But what is the difference between these two?

In both prophecy and teaching, men(and women) speak for God
    Why would speaking for God in one occasion be forbidden and not another?

To my mind, the distinction between the two lies in spontaneity. To teach one must first apply their mind and spirit to the word of God, derive some truths which they then share with others. But to prophesy receives the word of God directly from Holy Spirit. Look at Prophet Agabus in action:

Acts 21:11 (KJV)
    And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

No scriptures were necessary for Agabus to speak the mind of Holy Spirit, but Peter needed scriptures to teach about Pentecost in Acts 2.

Is it possible that women were forbidden to teach because of their limited access to the written word?
    If they had limited access to the then scriptures, and I hear they never went to the synagogue, they were much more susceptible to error than men.

2. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is your icon the Illuminati symbol?

• Like Like x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue was limiting women from being church overseers (bishops, pastor-teachers) and from having authority over their husbands.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We see many women with authority over men thruout Scripture. Deborah was both a prophetess & judge over Israel. (But Debbie was a mother & subject to her hubby Lapidoth.)

There's absolutely no Scriptural prohibition against queens.

However, Scripture makes it clear that wives are ruled by their hubbys. However, I do believe it's a sin for a man to treat a woman as chattel or a servant. (Unless, of course, she's a paid employee of that man.)

Conversely, I don't believe there's anything wrong with a woman being a supervisor of men in her employ. There are many women managers, police chiefs, etc.

However, I'm not very hep on women being full pastors, completely in charge of a congregation.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Op is now banned, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.